Need a Slim USB DVD Burner

I got an ASUS Eee 1000HE Netbook which don’t come with any Optical drives as you might already know. Anyways, I need an optical drive for various reasons, but I don’t want it to be bulky. I need a slim USB drive and preferably that it is powered by the Netbook’s USB ports (Two ports are usually needed). I’ve seen some by Samsung, LG, Liteon, Asus, etc. Now I haven’t seen which are good for reading\writing etc. Any recommendations?

dja2k

Latest from LG.

Would that be the LG GP08LU10 model?

dja2k

Yup, or the NU version.

Read that the NU DVD has problems with certain laptops due to it wanting AC power to burn cd’s or dvd’s.

dja2k

Plextor has a PX-610U model that uses some kind of internal battery to help with notebooks
etbooks. I wonder how good that one is, but I read that if the battery needs replacement, you have to send it in to the factory.

dja2k

@ dja2k,

Suggest reviewing the below referenced Forum Posting and note #2 and #4 postings in that thread ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/external-burner-true-bang-bucks-276131/

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg for those references, but I still need a slimline DVD Burner. I am not about to carry a full blown DVD Burner in my Netbook case. Most probably I will use it as a Reader more than a Writer, but having both makes it worthwhile.

dja2k

@ dja2k,

Suggest performing a Google Search (http://www.google.com) on External USB SlimLine Drive used with LapTop/NoteBook Computer damaging LapTop/NoteBook USB Ports.

As Forum Moderator mciahel states in referenced Forum Posting an External USB SlimLine Drive draws more power than the USB Port was designed to handle –that’s why many External USB SlimLine Drives contain a battery to provide the extra power. Because LapTop/NoteBook Computers USB ports are not as ‘robust’ as a DeskTop Computer there is a real danger if the battery fails and/or runs down the LapTop/NoteBook USB Port can be easily become damaged.

Regards,
bjkg

Yep I read all that an thanks! That is why I was looking into the Plextor drive that has a battery in it. Might be considering to buy that one.

dja2k

IIRC, the external Plextor is still a Pioneer clone…

[QUOTE=chef;2289785]IIRC, the external Plextor is still a Pioneer clone…[/QUOTE]
Is that a good thing or a bad one? I can actually find the Pioneer Model DVR-XD08 cheaper than the Plextor at the moment. Is that Pioneer Model DVR-XD08 any good?

dja2k

It should be a good one but the Plextor is just a Pioneer clone, as I said.