Need a recommendation

vbimport

Firstly, I’m glad to be back here :slight_smile: after such a long break (due many RL issues including some still ongoing).

Anyway…

As I’ve not kept intouch with the optical drive market for quite some time and the fact that in the last 3 weeks I’ve had no less than 4 drives completely fail (1x Liteon LH-20A1P, 2x Liteon LH-18A1P and 1xLG 4163B) plus another 2 showing signs of failing (another Liteon LH-20A1P and LG GSA-H22L). I need some quick recommendations for atleast a couple of DVD-Writers.

I dont need (but wouldn’t mind) the ability to scan disks (I still have 2x BenQ DW1650 and BenQ DW1620 for that) but I would prefer DVD-RAM compatability for atleast one of the drives. SATA could be useful.

I’m not too bothered about brands (aslong as write quality is good) and dont need anything over 16x speed (IME anything over 16x usually tends to cause serious problems with write quality even on decent media).

Pioneer 115/215 and the newer 116(ide)/216(sata) are good ways to go. Crossflashing allows RAM burning, ala42’s awesome MCSE allows a lot of other features to be enabled as well.