Need a new PC for photo & video work

vbimport

I´ll be using Photoshop and Premiere almost exclusively.

What factors are important to consider?
Is the i7- 2600 really that good? I have one option with i7-860 about the same price…?
What about back-up…RAID? Striping etc, 0, 1, 5,10 etc?
Video cards? What´s better???

Here are some of the main options I´m considering:

Difinity 2662 €929

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (up to 3,80 GHz), Quad-Core

8 GB RAM, 1,5 TB HDD, DVD Double Layer Burner, USB 3.0

NVIDIA GeForce GTX570 Graphic (1280 MB), HDMI, DVI

Mainboard: ASUS P8H67-M LE, Chipsatz: Intel® H67 Express, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Difinity 2696 €999

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (up to 3,80 GHz), Quad-Core

8 GB RAM, 2,06 TB HDD, DVD Double Layer Burner, USB 3.0

AMD Radeon HD6870 Graphic (1024 MB), HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort

Mainboard: ASUS P8H67-M LE, Intel H67 Express Chipset, Intel Rapid RAID 0,1,5,10 Support

Note: HDD set-up: 2,06 TB SATA made up from 2 drives:
60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (OS)
2 TB Western Digital Green (WD2000EADS)

Dell XPS 8300 €1089

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (up to 3,40 GHz), Quad-Core

8 GB RAM, 1.5 TB HDD, DVD Double Layer Burner

1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 Graphic

I have my own W7 Ultimate, and one advantage I see is that I can get the Difinitys without paying for an OS, whereas with the Dell it´s included and I have to of course pay (extra).

Any, all thoughts are welcome.

I would probably go with the Dell because of the video card if I was going to buy altogether computer. Other wise I would build my own, they are not that hard to put together. Pre-made computers are usually a little short on power supplys and often proprietary power supplys. Also not enough stuff inside to add on extras in the future.

With a photoshop/premiere based system you don’t need a gaming video card, any modern entry level card will be fine.

Have you thought about building your own system so that you can overclock a Sandy Bridge CPU? A 2500K is both fast and easily overclocked and at a good price.

So here is a build, totals 934 with vat and shipping. A couple of the items are not in stock but use it as an example if you like. So this is cheaper with far better components, overclockable, includes a very fast SSD boot/software drive and a 2TB storage HDD. You can upgrade the OS to the ultimate version its just a little more. The 2500K is plenty fast and now because its the ‘K’ version can be overclocked up to 5GHz.

edit: looks like that cooler will not fit, and just checked its an older design. Not much of a cooler selection at Scan.

That looks pretty good…I´ll take that and a bunch of similar specs to a local shop who could build one and see what they have to say.
The overclockable 2500k is worth thinking about for sure,…and I´d agree the video card for my purposes is not that big an issue…the options I listed are all pretty fast anyway.

Otherwise I´m quite happy to buy a good one off the shelf for only a bit more that comes with a guarantee…and I have my own ready-to-roll W7 Ultimate-N anyway.

So just to point out, that Dell has 4 sticks of 2GB, its better to go with 2 sticks of 4GB. Also from what I can tell the only HDD it comes with is a 1.5TB, its most likely not a Samsung drive (which I would prefer). Not to mention the SSD drive in the build I suggested, their not even an option that I can see at Dell. So since you already have win 7 that saves you another 100 bringing it down to 830 pounds. You could even step up to a 2600k and do a light overclock with the factory cooler if you wanted, it would be far superior to the Dell PC.

Those Difinity MB’s only have 2 slots for RAM! But I do see that they come with a 60GB SSD drive and a 2TB HDD. We don’t know the model of the SSD drive so makes it kind of a grab bag gamble, you might get a good one or you might get an older slow one.

The only things I didn’t include were the mouse/keyboard and a DVD burner.

So what’cha say build’n or buy’n? :wink:

Okay here’s an updated build, this is one bad-ass PC with a blazing fast SSD drive. The OS is omitted, you have that. If you go for this build I would just suggest to email them about the two items that aren’t in stock they should be able to give you an ETA.

Ok Eric - it’s on the way

Almost exactly your specs. My local shop had everything in stock except the case - they’ll use a Compucase 6XG3BS-EFG, and a 60GB SSD (only 280MB/s).

They’ll put it together for me for €980 including a 3 yr warranty!

It should be ready in one or two weeks!

:smiley:

Awesome! Should be blazing fast :cool:

Thought about it during the afternoon…and this evening emailed the crew and asked if they´d be able to up the RAM from 8 to 12 GB.
It´ll cost a bit extra but I think 12 GB should handle just about anything I throw at it…meaning photos that could get as high as 8 to 10GB.

I´m quite excited about this!

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2582261]So here is a build, totals 934 with vat and shipping. A couple of the items are not in stock but use it as an example if you like. So this is cheaper with far better components, overclockable, includes a very fast SSD boot/software drive and a 2TB storage HDD. You can upgrade the OS to the ultimate version its just a little more. The 2500K is plenty fast and now because its the ‘K’ version can be overclocked up to 5GHz.

edit: looks like that cooler will not fit, and just checked its an older design. Not much of a cooler selection at Scan.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Cogage TRUE Spirit is compatible with the Sandy Bridge CPUs. However, it requires the separate purchase of a Thermalright LGA 1156 bolt-through kit in order to use that cooler with the new platform. (The stock installation kit is compatible only with LGA 1366 CPUs; LGA 1155 uses the exact same cooler mount as LGA 1156.) I did exactly that with my system.

By the way, the choice of an Asus P8P67 LE is not the best choice to overclock the i7-2600K: Unlike its more expensive siblings, the LE lacks certain voltage and load-level adjustment settings, so the overclocks on the P8P67 LE will not be as high as they would have on even the plain (non-LE) P8P67, let alone the P8P67 Pro or Deluxe.