Need a new burner

Hey folks, My current burner (SHM-165H6S) just died and I’m in the market for a new one.

I’ve been a fan of lite-on for years and I would prefer to stay with this brand so what Lite-On model do you guys recommend?

(It doesnt matter if its a sata or ide model)

Thanks in advance.

This should give the general concensus of the forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-january-march-2008-cast-your-vote-now-234126/

[QUOTE=TorranEX;1968837]Hey folks, My current burner (SHM-165H6S) just died and I’m in the market for a new one.

I’ve been a fan of lite-on for years and I would prefer to stay with this brand so what Lite-On model do you guys recommend?

(It doesnt matter if its a sata or ide model)

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

I like my 20A1P and my 20A4P which are the same hardware but different firmware.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;1968839]This should give the general concensus of the forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-january-march-2008-cast-your-vote-now-234126/[/QUOTE]
Good post LOCO :slight_smile:

Thanks Bob, I’d recommend the Samsung 203B (SATA) personally.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;1968844]Thanks Bob, I’d recommend the Samsung 203B (SATA) personally.[/QUOTE]

So is the Samsung 203B that much better than the current crop of Lite-On models? If so, I may have to give the samsung a try.

(Heh, its only $30, if I dont like it, I can always give it to the wife and get another)

[QUOTE=TorranEX;1968848]
(Heh, its only $30, if I dont like it, I can always give it to the wife and get another)[/QUOTE]

hehe, I think you’ll spend another 30 bucks and buy a second one :slight_smile:

Wow!!!

I just looked at some of the scans from the review… :bow:

I guess I will be getting a Samsung then.

Hehe, I’m glad I came here first. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys

Happy burning and welcome to CDF!

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;1968851]hehe, I think you’ll spend another 30 bucks and buy a second one :)[/QUOTE]I have 2-203B’s. One of them is in an external eSATA box and works great at 20X with the right media of course.

Dont overlook the 20A3P, with the matured firmware this is a really good burner.:iagree:

Doesn’t somebody who buys a Sammy 203B still need another burner such as a Lite-On for reliable scans?

Soem Samsung drives are perfectly fine for scanning. It’s not always needed. :disagree:

Personally I have yet to find anything my 203B burns better then my other burners in the same computer(1620, 20A1P). Then again I havent tried strategy swapping and I see no need to burn at 20x(none of my media’d handle it anyway). My LiteOns don’t tend to like the 203B’s burns, some of which won’t read in other drives despite great scans in my BenQs. Personally from my experience I’d go with one of the new Liteys, or get a Pioneer or one of the new NECs(seem to look promising, but it’s early to say for sure).

[QUOTE=larc919;1969355]Doesn’t somebody who buys a Sammy 203B still need another burner such as a Lite-On for reliable scans?[/QUOTE]

Actually I have an old 1693s I use for ripping and scanning. I stopped using it for burning when I got the 165H6s because the 165H6s gave me better burns.

The oddest thing, my Kprobe results on the 165H6S were always way different than the ones on my 1693S. I was more comfortable with the results on the 1693S so I kept in my pc and relegated it to scanning and ripping.

[quote=TorranEX;1969824]The oddest thing, my Kprobe results on the 165H6S were always way different than the ones on my 1693S. I was more comfortable with the results on the 1693S so I kept in my pc and relegated it to scanning and ripping.[/quote]That will happen with 2 different drives of the same series, and even more so with 2 drives 2 series apart. No 2 drives scan exactly alike. :wink:

[quote=TorranEX;1969824]Actually I have an old 1693s I use for ripping and scanning. I stopped using it for burning when I got the 165H6s because the 165H6s gave me better burns.[/quote]Sounds as if you’ll be quite well fixed then. :slight_smile:

The oddest thing, my Kprobe results on the 165H6S were always way different than the ones on my 1693S. I was more comfortable with the results on the 1693S so I kept in my pc and relegated it to scanning and ripping.
For some reason I could never cozy up to KProbe, especially after using later versions of CD-DVD Speed.