Need a little help with HP lightscribe

vbimport

Hello all, I’m new here and I need a little help. I bought an HP dvd640 lightscribe and a generic external case. unable to get driver to load. computer recognizes drive as usb mass storage device (in the device manager) but with error. when I look in my computer file the drive doesnt showup. this is what I am working with.
dell inspiron 1000 laptop
xp home os
hp 640 lightscribe duel layer dvdrw
made it china external ide to usb2 there is no namebrand on box but m#&S#
m#pm04A82138
s#525u2-pcb
other writing on the box
3.5" / 5.25" External Enclosure
usb 2.0 60mb/s
1394 50mb/s
thanks for any help or direction.

you have usb2 not only usb 1.1 ? in device manager, expand USB Controllers, if u see Enhanced USB…then you have usb2

next, try another usb port. DO NOT plug the case into the port where a USB mouse would plug into…they will be 1.1.

next, uninstall the drive from dev manager, restart, put you xp cd into any available cd-rom let the wizard install driver/s. or, extract USBSTOR.SY_ from xp cd with any unzip program, put USBSTOR.SYS into system32/drivers. point wizard to it when asked

@ tinnman357,
Where did you buy your HP dvd640 lightscribe drive?

Available @ Wal Mart for about $100. Huge rip-off.

Hmm I Googled for your laptop and found that it’s based on a SiS chipset. SiS chipsets do need drivers to be installed in order to work properly. Did you install those? If not, please surf here: http://download.sis.com/ and download the drivers you need. Install them and try again.

Good luck!

thank all of you for your reponse. yes i did purchase the drive at walmart $99. didnt really see it as a rip off. but to each his own.

dhee-en, as far as the driver goes i think i have all the current updates. when i expand my usb controllers file in device manager this is what it reads.
universal serial bus controllers
sis 7001 pci to usb open host controller
sis 7001 pci to usb open host controller
sis pci to usb enhanced host controller
usb composite device
usb root hub
usb root hub
usb root hub
am i looking in the wrong place? should i be looking at the ide controller. i’m kinda new to doing stuff like this. i know just enough to get into trouble then i have to call you guys to bail me out lol. thank you for your help.

i have since found out a benq drive is not compatible with the plumax pm-525u2-pcb external case. thanks again for all your help

FYI: I have noticed that the LaCie model external burner won’t be available until ‘sometime in April’ according to their website. I did a search, and someone on eBay is selling an external Lightscribe burner with Firewire and USB. I searched using “External Lightscribe”.

According to the auction, the drive is compatible with Windows, but I would think they are just referring to the software that comes along with it.

FYI: I have noticed that the LaCie model External Lightscribe Burner won’t be available until ‘sometime in April’ according to their website. I did a search, and someone on eBay (USA) is selling an external Lightscribe burner with FireWire and USB. I searched using “External Lightscribe”. Some nice images there.

According to the auction, the drive is compatible with Windows, but I would think they are just referring to the software that comes along with it.

The HP website actually has a free downloadable LightScribe labeler for Windows, so I should think they will provide the same for Mac.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/theresaleking/.mids/Dscn1378.jpg

Cheers.

Brett

HP 640i lightscribe has updates already! they are just unreleased at this time! I recieved them from HP and have forwarded them out to some of the f/w people for people who need them sooner than HP wants to release them! the dvd burner itself isn’t as much a rip off as the DVD’s and CD’s you have to buy to use it! Verbatium DVD’s 30.00 for 3-5 discs at walmart! OUCH!