Need a good SATA DVD burner

vbimport

What is one of the best all around SATA DVD\CD burners I can get? I mainly use it for burning music and movies, and backing up DVD\CD movies\games, and burning myself copies again. I don’t care about litescribe at all. I just want a reliable drive with fast read\write times on all formats. I don’t really want to pay more than $50 if possible.

I was looking at the Samsung SH-S203B after reading a review for it on here. Don’t know how good it is for everything I want, but figured I’d mention it anyway.

Also, this drive needs to work with Vista x64.

Thanks for any help!

[QUOTE=31337;2052997]What is one of the best all around SATA DVD\CD burners I can get? I mainly use it for burning music and movies, and backing up DVD\CD movies\games, and burning myself copies again. I don’t care about litescribe at all. I just want a reliable drive with fast read\write times on all formats. I don’t really want to pay more than $50 if possible.

I was looking at the Samsung SH-S203B after reading a review for it on here. Don’t know how good it is for everything I want, but figured I’d mention it anyway.

Also, this drive needs to work with Vista x64.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

The Samsung SH-S203B has been one of the best drives I’ve ever had after flashing it with the FBFR patch firmware. One of the fastest reader I’ve ever had ‘AND’ one of the fastest burners as well!!

If you do get the 203B, what a few weeks before flashing it with the patch firmware since that will void the warranty… just to make sure the drive itself wasn’t a defective one.
But the FBFR firmware is easy to install and very safe… not to mention a night and day difference maker for that drive.:smiley:

I’ve seen reports that with Vista and some chipset drivers, this burner craps out in the finalising disc stage.

[quote=Gummigutta;2053065]I’ve seen reports that with Vista and some chipset drivers, this burner craps out in the finalising disc stage.

Hi :slight_smile:
Yet the author of ImgBurn can’t duplicate the problem.
Niether can I.
If you look at forums reports on the widest scale.
The 203B comes out as a very good burner.
My reservations would relate more to VIA chipsets rather Samsung.
I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
Have had 4 different 203B’s & 4 203N’s in this setup at one time or another.
Had no problems whatsoever. :cool:
Used the latest motherboards from Asus & Gigabyte (nVidia & Intel chipsets).

Ok, awesome. As long as this drive lives up to all the hype (which, as long as it’s not a defect, I’m sure it will) I think this drive will be the best bet for me. I’m going to be getting a new 780i MOBO anyway, so as long as it has no issues with nVidia chipsets I’m good.

So that other firmware is stable? How great are the read\write gains from using it on this particular drive?

Thanks

[quote=MBK;2053033]The Samsung SH-S203B has been one of the best drives I’ve ever had after flashing it with the FBFR patch firmware. One of the fastest reader I’ve ever had ‘AND’ one of the fastest burners as well!!

If you do get the 203B, what a few weeks before flashing it with the patch firmware since that will void the warranty… just to make sure the drive itself wasn’t a defective one.
But the FBFR firmware is easy to install and very safe… not to mention a night and day difference maker for that drive.:D[/quote]

Where is that firmware? I have been contemplating replacing my S203B because its real slow at ripping. Never goes above like 5000kb/s. I am thinking this might fix my problem.

It won’t let me edit my previous post, but I found the patcher and chose all the options to patch the SB04 firmware with, and this drive is simply amazing now. Before when ripping DL dvd’s it wouldnt go above 5000kb/s, after the patched firmware I get speeds around 12,000 - 13,000 kb/s.

Test any Samsung203b or even the 223f on whichever sata controller/interface with +R bitset to DVD-ROM and wait until 99% of the disc finalising to see/witness any issues (ImgBurn with log window open. One example being [PMA Update Failure].

I only get this particular issue/s with Sammy/TSST drives on 3 of the 4 different Samsung drives I own.

When they are good they are good, when they are bad they are bad. (Very Hit ‘n’ Miss on DVD+SL) IMO

Try the Pioneer 215… :flower:

I’m looking for a good nurner too.
I have this questions:

• is still better the Samsung 203 or the 223 is good too?
  • about interface: there are any difference between IDE and SATA interface? It seems that new Samsung burners are SATA only, is right?

Many thanks!

72xx are the best option as for now for all around burners by me.
Haven’t tried the 215 but I will soon. :smiley:

Do they still have samsung sh203 in the states? hears its been d/c long time now…