Need a good dvd multiwriter

After ordering my dvd multiwriter for my first build, I didn’t notice it, but it was a IDE drive, and I had thought originally that it was SATA. I had major issues with it to work from the start, its a horrible drive. I had some issues with newegg, but ended up getting my way, ask me how to make them pay for shipping, and give you a full refund. Neat little tricks.

Is running a DVD writer on SATA a ton better then having it connected via IDE?

The two sata drives that I am looking at to replace my current HP are here:

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVDR DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Both which fit my price which is 27.99 + Free Shipping (exact), and are NewEggs top selling and rated drives.

Which should I get, and if you can find a better MULTIWRITER with SATA, Free Shipping, and 27.99 or under, please link me.

The major things I want, are:

[ul]
[li]Sata[/li][li]NO HP!!![/li][li]Lightscribe[/li][li]Any drive that does multiple forms of discs[/li][li]Any drive that is under or 27.99[/li][/ul]

Bump, wheres the support here?

The drive I would recommend is no longer easily found. It is the Samsung SH-S203N.

None of the 22x SATA drives have really proved to be crowd pleasers here at cdfreaks amongst our regular members, so that may be part of the lack of response to your thread.

Of the two you’ve picked, you’ll be fine with either provided you use good media.

There is no great advantage to using SATA rather than IDE for an optical drive. Less clutter with the wiring and no Master/Slave settings.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2226579]The drive I would recommend is no longer easily found. It is the Samsung SH-S203N.[/QUOTE]
:iagree::iagree::iagree:
The Samsung SH-S203 drives are superb all rounders, and although sadly discontinued you may still be able to find one. If you can’t find one then I would suggest an Optiarc AD-7201S (but [U]not[/U] an AD-7221S).

[QUOTE=Sullivan;2225923]After ordering my dvd multiwriter for my first build, I didn’t notice it, but it was a IDE drive, and I had thought originally that it was SATA. I had major issues with it to work from the start, its a horrible drive.[/quote]You happen to have a mainboard with modern Intel chipset?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2226579]
There is no great advantage to using SATA rather than IDE for an optical drive. Less clutter with the wiring and no Master/Slave settings.[/QUOTE]You forgot one thing: Compatibility. Modern Intel chipsets don’t support P-ATA. So the motherboard slap some 3rd party controller onto their boards, which often have poor ODD support.
That having said, I’d avoid P-ATA drives if they shall be installed in a recent Intel based system.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2226614]You happen to have a mainboard with modern Intel chipset?
You forgot one thing: Compatibility. Modern Intel chipsets don’t support P-ATA. So the motherboard slap some 3rd party controller onto their boards, which often have poor ODD support.
That having said, I’d avoid P-ATA drives if they shall be installed in a recent Intel based system.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yes, all my stuff is top of the line. Gigabyte P45 Top Line Motherboard w/ Intel Chipset. Ill stick with the SATA interface.