Need a DVD-rom with faster audio extraction

vbimport

I have a Samsung 616eepb (I think that’s the model) and it’s a great drive except for audio extraction. Easily reaches its advertised 16x dvd and 48x cd read but it gets only 8x read with audio discs. I need to use a dvd drive to be my source drive for disc to disc writing. Is there a better drive for this? I really like how quick and quiet my samsung is but it’s useless for copying audio cds.

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched but didn’t find any threads.

Lite-On 166S for DVD-ROM. If you want higher quality extration, get a Lite-On burner.

I get quality from my samsung it’s just slow. How fast can the lite-on read audio?

The Asus drives (E616) are very fast at ripping audio.

All of the current LiteOn 48x-52x drives will rip audio at 48x.

I’ve heard about problems with lite-on drives and Nforce chipsets so I’m going to pass on them. Also I hear they’re loud.

How is the samsung CDrom at audio extraction? I’m happy with the quality of my samsung dvdrom, it’s just slowm, so I’m thinking of adding a samsung as a 3rd drive just to do disc to disc (I also have a plextor).

Originally posted by Bamboozler
[B]I’ve heard about problems with lite-on drives and Nforce chipsets so I’m going to pass on them. Also I hear they’re loud.

How is the samsung CDrom at audio extraction? I’m happy with the quality of my samsung dvdrom, it’s just slowm, so I’m thinking of adding a samsung as a 3rd drive just to do disc to disc (I also have a plextor). [/B]

LOL, nothing like a a little misinformation. Nforce IDE drivers have loads of problems, it has nothing to do with LiteOn drives. Likewise, they are no louder than any other 48x-52x drives.

It’s not misinformation. I’m not saying the problem is with the lite-on drives. The Nvidia IDE drivers just have a hard time detecting them correctly. I love my Nforce chipset but this is one area where it faults. It’s a limitation to my computer that dictates that I can’t get a lite-on without risking problems so I’m looking for alternatives.

Originally posted by Bamboozler
It’s not misinformation. I’m not saying the problem is with the lite-on drives. The Nvidia IDE drivers just have a hard time detecting them correctly. I love my Nforce chipset but this is one area where it faults. It’s a limitation to my computer that dictates that I can’t get a lite-on without risking problems so I’m looking for alternatives.

You are seriously mistaken. There is no problem with Nforce boards that is specific to LiteOn drives. And as long as you do not use the Nvidia IDE driver, there are no problems with any optical drives.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You are seriously mistaken. There is no problem with Nforce boards that is specific to LiteOn drives. And as long as you do not use the Nvidia IDE driver, there are no problems with any optical drives.

You just quoted me saying it was an “nvidia IDE drivers” problem. What are you getting at?

Maybe I should clarify. I need to use the nvidia drivers because they make the data transfer from my hard drive MUCH faster than windows drivers.

I need to use the nvidia drivers because they make the data transfer from my hard drive MUCH faster than windows drivers

That may or may not be, but the problems with Nvidia drivers are not specific to LiteOn drives, they occur with all optical drives.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
That may or may not be, but the problems with Nvidia drivers are not specific to LiteOn drives, they occur with all optical drives.

It is most definetly true. All benchmarks show a vast improvement as well as being able to count how many seconds faster the hard drive preforms functions. Windows boots much faster (~8 seconds) and things like loading large maps in games (unreal 2003/2004) generally take about 3-4 seconds less. As far as I know it is only Lite-on drives. Most of my information about optical drive detection problems comes from www.nforcershq.com forums. They are the ones who know about nforce chipsets. They also test beta drivers for Nvidia.

As far as I know it is only Lite-on drives

For the 4th and final time: no, it is not specific to any drive brand, the problems occur with all optical drives, burners in particular.

If you want to confirm this, just search the other burner brand forums for issues with Nvidia drivers. They are quite common.

If you’ve got a problem with Lite-ON drives, then get an Asus E616 (the current model has P1 on the end of that model number AFAIK).

The I/O Magic DVD-ROM is a very capable reader. I have the 16x model, I’m not sure who the OEM; it is a rebadge. It extracts audio very well, on par with CD-RW drives, it DAE rate maxes out at over 40x.
Many drives do have nForce issues including the LiteOn’s; the LiteOn 52x24x52 is louder than the 52x32x52 drive- I have and use both drives.:iagree: :cool: