Need a drive for quality scanning

vbimport

i would like to know what is the best dvd drive(s) currently available on newegg for quality scanning, excluding plextors,

i read that the benq 1620 and 1640 are the best but these are expensive and rare in the US,

thanks

liteon is the choice if you cant get a true benq or plextor.

Depends on whether you need quality scanning for DVDs, CDs or both.
No currently produced drive is best for both types of scanning.

Yes I forgot that part Drage, liteon drives are ok for dvd’s and Optiarc drives for cd’s.

Optiarc drives can scan CD but the results differ a lot compared with BenQ and Plextor, which produce nearly equal results. So for me no actual drive is realy capable for reliable CD scanning. For DVD LiteOn is clear the best choice.

thank you for the responses,

i’m mostly interested in scanning dual layer dvds,

can you suggest which models specifically?

All liteon can scan dual layer discs, but not all liteon drives can do jitter on the second layer.
The DH20A3P can do jitter on the second layer, also i think that the new 122/222/322/422 can do jitter on the second layer (not 100% sure).

[QUOTE=wontellyou;2167258]

i’m mostly interested in scanning dual layer dvds,

can you suggest which models specifically?[/QUOTE]

As vroom said LiteOn is ok for that also has sometimes problems with second layer, when jitter test is enabled. Other actual drives even doesn’t be able to scan jitter at all so it is no disadvantage for me. If you want jittertest also with DL you can look after an old BenQ 1640, 1655. They do jittertest on DL burns without any problem and are perfect CD scanners also, which the LiteOns are not.