Need a complete rebuild

I’m picked up an old dell dimension L866r and I want to completely tear it down and rebuild it. The only thing I’m looking to keep is the case. I would like some help with the upgrades. I understand how to put everything together and I’m good with software but, when it comes to specs of hardware I’m kinda dumb. I want to replace everything and keep just the case so if any1 has any advice on what I should put into this thing plzz let me know.

I’ll start the ball rolling.

Does your case look similar to the one below?

It looks like it will support two dvd drives, a floppy drive and I am guessing 2 hard drives.

I see a fan on the front, does it have a exhaust fan on the rear?

First of all you need to determine what type of motherboard the case will support.

Full-AT
Baby-AT
LPX
Full-ATX
Mini-ATX
NLX

Then you have to decide weather you want to go with Intel brand or AMD brand.

:cool::cool:

You’ll need a new PSU so why bother keeping the case?
//Danne

I’m building the computer for my lil ones.it’s gonna run windows 98 and it’s hard to find the memory I need to upgrade it so I figured a rebuild would be easier. I saw that case u have pictured above wen searching Google and yes it’s the same type of comp. and case.

So tell us how much your willing to spend and whether or not that includes the monitor and OS.

ok I no it sounds kinda crazy but, I’m not looking to spend over $100. I got a spare monitor and the os. My kids r like 6 and 7 yrs. old so I don’t want to put alot into the system. Just enough so they can play their learning games and go on their kid browsers.

Unfortunately it will cost more than a $100.00 unless you trying to source old parts.

IE

[B][U]New PC parts[/U][/B]

These are really rough numbers for cost for a budget build. Your total cost will depend on what you really want or need.

Motherboard - $80.00 to $300.00
Processor - $80.00 to $400.00
Power Supply - $80.00 to $ 300.00
Ram - $40.00 to $300.00
DvD Drive (Writer) - $30.00 to $250.00
Hard Drive - $60.00 to $350.00
OEM OS - $120.00 to $250.00
Monitor - $200.00 to $600.00

Assuming that you will most likely choose a motherboard with on board video and sound.

Is lack of ram the only issue with this particular PC?

What kind of ram is it?

:cool::cool:

Okay minigamer, the kids games are pretty low demand on graphics power so I think you can get by for now with basic onboard graphics. This board will allow you to through in a real video card later if their gaming demands grow. So for MB+RAM+CPU its about $120 plus any shipping, probably around $12.

Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
WINTEC AMPO 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

This system won’t use a lot of power but you would have to make sure that the pins on the old PSU conform to the ATX standards. Don’t try to just force the plug in. You can look at diagrams on the net for various standard PSU’s and check that the color codes are the same for the one that you have.

So I see your old PC is really old :slight_smile: you might as well get a cheap PSU for it then.

LOGISYS Computer PS480E12 480W ATX12V Power Supply $18

the games my kinds play r old and can run on windows 98 so I’m not looking to upgrade it to a gaming comp. . I don’t plain on ever upgrading this machine again. I have another machine I do gaming on and other stuff. This is just something that will keep the kids off my machine. It’s not gonna have the usual stuff on it. Just a few learning games and kids browsers so,I’m not looking to put a DVD in it just a plain old cdrom. I will upload the specs of the comp. if it will help.?

here’s the specs just in case…

Report.txt (2.75 KB)

I don’t think the old PSU will work, go for the cheap one I suggested. Don’t forget to do a fresh install of the OS.

Wouldn’t it be better if you bought a PS2?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2288185]Wouldn’t it be better if you bought a PS2?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

And wat exactly r my kids gonna learn from a PS2? At least this way they learn how to use a basic comp. and have fun doing it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2287771]Okay minigamer, the kids games are pretty low demand on graphics power so I think you can get by for now with basic onboard graphics. This board will allow you to through in a real video card later if their gaming demands grow. So for MB+RAM+CPU its about $120 plus any shipping, probably around $12.

Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
WINTEC AMPO 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

This system won’t use a lot of power but you would have to make sure that the pins on the old PSU conform to the ATX standards. Don’t try to just force the plug in. You can look at diagrams on the net for various standard PSU’s and check that the color codes are the same for the one that you have.[/QUOTE]

the motherboard is out of stock could u recommend another one plzz.?

This GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G would be a good choice.

If you willing to get an open box MB (it may/not have the I/O shield), this Open Box: ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V has a better video chipset and is only $50.