Need a bit of help with stopping VOBs from being split

vbimport

So I noticed after uninstalling DVDFab that .vob files are still being split into 1gb chunks on my disk drive.

I have no idea if DVDFab is even related to this problem or if it is just a coincidence but if anyone could offer a suggestion for diagnosing this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Right now if I explore any dvd in my disk drive all the VOB files are split, which I don’t think ever happened before.

Any ideas on stopping this split? Or does windows always do this and I just never noticed until now?

I am running Vista 64 and don’t really have any software installed that could do this …

Standard DVD format is usually (approx) 1GB VOBs. This is so they’ll fit any file format. If you want all the movie and extras in one file, rip to ISO.

[QUOTE=enknamel;2531999]So I noticed after uninstalling DVDFab that .vob files are still being split into 1gb chunks on my disk drive.

I have no idea if DVDFab is even related to this problem or if it is just a coincidence but if anyone could offer a suggestion for diagnosing this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Right now if I explore any dvd in my disk drive all the VOB files are split, which I don’t think ever happened before.

Any ideas on stopping this split? Or does windows always do this and I just never noticed until now?

I am running Vista 64 and don’t really have any software installed that could do this …[/QUOTE]

Hi enknamel

Welcome to the forum :flower:

As olyteddy pointed out 1GB .vob is standard/normal which in basically for playability reasons, however there are many users/members who do rip as a single vob file which is better when streaming the video however most media players will not play a single vob video.

I just tested WMP 11 & played a single .vob from a DVD complient format folder .
This small video only has one .vob .I want to emphasize small only 400MB.
I also have added some codecs & other Directshow improvements so all WMP 11’s may not have this ability.
I usually recomend VLC for problem videos & still do.
If I have some time tomorrow I will create a single .vob movie & see how it does. I don’t currently have one to test with.
Unfortunatly since I only have the free version of DVDFab .I’m not sure I can do it with DVDFab but will try. I know I can with other software I have.

You can always running it by Shrink to backup, and in preferences>Output files> 'un-check ’ Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks…
No re-encoding/transcoding , if no additional compression is applied/needed…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2532095]You can always running it by Shrink to backup, and in preferences>Output files> 'un-check ’ Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks…
No re-encoding/transcoding , if no additional compression is applied/needed…[/QUOTE]

Since the OP is talking and using DVDFab, VOB passthrough can be used if the OP really wants the files to be combined into one vob file.

Yeah SJ…I jumped the gun a tad!..I did use ’ running it by "…Meaning the fab backup…But you’re right of course!..
g’day!..:cool:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2532099]Yeah SJ…I jumped the gun a tad!..I did use ’ running it by "…Meaning the fab backup…But you’re right of course!..
g’day!..:cool:[/QUOTE]

Hey my friend don’t see you in here to much, you must be jumping from forum to forum a lot these day :smiley:
and you have a great day yourself my friend :flower:

Yeah, just doing drive-by postings these days…Actually been a little busy…
Cheers!..

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532084]As olyteddy pointed out 1GB .vob is standard/normal which in basically for playability reasons,…[/QUOTE]

1GB is the usual size for reasons of compatibility with older Microsoft filing systems.

VOBs can be larger than 1GB and larger VOBs are still within the official DVD specs.

Not all software handles them correctly though.

In the old days using earlier decrypters you could set the file size to whatever you wanted.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2532132] [B]1GB is the usual size for reasons of compatibility [/B]with older Microsoft filing systems.[/QUOTE]
Which is basically what I was saying

[QUOTE=Wombler;2532132]Not all software handles them correctly though[/QUOTE]
Which is what I was trying to point out

[QUOTE=Wombler;2532132] [B]In the old days [/B]using earlier decrypters you could set the file size to whatever you wanted.

[B]Wombler[/B] [/QUOTE]

:iagree:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532084] however most media players will not play a single vob video.[/QUOTE]
I played around a bit & created a single large .vob movie. As long as the .ifo files are in the VIDEO_TS folder with the .vob WMP 11 plays it fine.The .bup file can be deleted. With only the single .vob in the folder WMP 11 never manages to load & play it. This is with the same .vob in the same folder.
VLC or WinAmp play just the .vob with no problem.
The free version of DVDFab doesn’t have VOB passthrough . So I couldn’t test with it.
Unless I didn’t find it in the free version.

[QUOTE=cholla;2532581]I played around a bit & created a single large .vob movie. As long as the .ifo files are in the VIDEO_TS folder with the .vob WMP 11 plays it fine.The .bup file can be deleted. With only the single .vob in the folder WMP 11 never manages to load & play it. This is with the same .vob in the same folder.
VLC or WinAmp play just the .vob with no problem.
The free version of DVDFab doesn’t have VOB passthrough . So I couldn’t test with it.
Unless I didn’t find it in the free version.[/QUOTE]

When stated media players I was refering to devices…eg…standalone DVD players, guess I should have been more clear on my comment.

Have you tried playing it in WinDVD ?

SJ , I don’t have WinDVD.
I did take it as computer media players.
I think the only other player I have on this computer is Media Player Classic Homecinema.
It works with it too.
I might have another one or two I just need to look for them.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532583]When stated media players I was refering to devices…eg…standalone DVD players…[/QUOTE]

That’s an interesting one.

I did a lot of testing of extended titlesets for another developer some time ago but that was to enable creation of compatible single VOBs for media players and also to facilitate one step compression of large multi-disc movies, so I never got around to testing extended titlesets in standalone players.

Not all software produces fully compliant extended titlesets and it would be interesting to see if fully compliant extended titlesets play on standalone machines.

If I get the chance I might have a play with that (out of curiosity) but I’m up to my eyes ATM with other things.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2532626]That’s an interesting one.

I did a lot of testing of extended titlesets for another developer some time ago but that was to enable creation of compatible single VOBs for media players and also to facilitate one step compression of large multi-disc movies, so I never got around to testing extended titlesets in standalone players.

Not all software produces fully compliant extended titlesets and it would be interesting to see if fully compliant extended titlesets play on standalone machines.

If I get the chance I might have a play with that (out of curiosity) but I’m up to my eyes ATM with other things.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I know a few friends of mine tried doing it and was never able to get it to work on their standalones, and I remember reading somewhere about it…course I’ve learned ya never believe everything you read :rolleyes:

@ Wombler , I know your busy lately but how about a good definition of what
fully compliant extended titlesets are .

[QUOTE=cholla;2532909]@ Wombler , I know your busy lately but how about a good definition of what
fully compliant extended titlesets are .[/QUOTE]

I don’t want to stray off topic here but by fully compliant I mean that meets all of the official DVD-Video specifications.

It costs $5,000 to get a copy of these and recipients must sign a non-disclosure agreement so you won’t find this online.

The stuff that is online is based on expert knowledge and questions that have been answered by those that have the specifications.

It’s not really my area but MPUCoder has some great stuff on his website that only became freely available relatively recently, so check out here if you’re interested.

Knowing this stuff is one thing, playing with it is for the experts though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

@ Wombler , I did take a quick look at the link & will look it over some more.
I didn’t think about the full specifications being a trade secret or expensive to get.
I guess what I was asking was what you meant be just extended title sets.
To me that could be any video added that was not part of the movie .Like special
features or directors comment. I might be wrong on those definitions too .
I wasn’t too woried about getting this topic off topic a bit because the OP has never posted a second time .
So other that someone searching it probably won’t make much difference.

Sorry, perhaps I should clarify.

I was looking at ways of creating single disc DVD-5 versions of large multidisc movies (such as “The Lord of The Rings” extended editions).

When combining multidisc movies usually I combine the titlesets then compress to DVD-5 for maximum high quality compression.

According to the DVD specs you can only have a maximum of ten VOBs (numbered from 0-9) so if the size of the combined titleset is beyond 10GB then 1GB VOBs aren’t enough and you need to use larger VOBs.

I wanted software that could produce a titleset beyond 10GB and that’s what I mean by extended titlesets (those beyond 10GB).

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]