Need 2 drives. The best cd ripper and the best cd burner

A friend wants to put a pc together purely for the purpose of copying thousands of cd’s to some kind of fancy $3 archival blanks he bought by the boatload. Every rip and burn have to be as fast AND good as possible since it’s such a huge task and there won’t be time to test them all out after they burn. Thoughts? Thanks!

Best CD Burners:

Yamaha CRW-F1 (IDE or SCSI)
Plextor Premium II (IDE)
Plextor Premium (IDE)
Lite-On LTR-52327S (IDE)

Unfortunately, those are no longer being made, and can only be found on eBay.

The alternative is a DVD burner that burns CDs. No DVD burner is as good as a dedicated CD burner at burning CDs. Just keep that in mind. Of the drives available, the best would be:

Pioneer DVR-115D (IDE) or 215D (SATA)
Samsung SH-S203N (SATA)
Optiarc AD-7200A (IDE) or AD-7200S (SATA)

Unfortunately, even these drives are getting harder to find as some are no longer in current production. Once again, if you can’t find them at a regular store, try eBay.

A few other choices for good CD burning DVD drives that would be eBay only:

BenQ DW1640 (IDE)
Plextor PX-760A (IDE)
Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Oh, and for the record, when it comes to CDs, the best burning drives are also the best ripping drives. The two things kind of go hand in hand.

[QUOTE=Brando;2217775]A friend wants to put a pc together purely for the purpose of copying thousands of cd’s to some kind of fancy $3 archival blanks he bought by the boatload. Every rip and burn have to be as fast AND good as possible since it’s such a huge task and there won’t be time to test them all out after they burn. Thoughts? Thanks![/QUOTE]

what brand of your archival grade CD blanks and Media code ?

Sorry I forgot the name of the disks but I’ll repost when I can get a hold of the guy. Thanks for the info so far. Oh and does it have to be the sh-s203N or is the sh-s203b ok?

The SH-S203B is ok. :slight_smile: It’s similar in the quality of burns. :wink:

Any advice on CD rippers these days?

[QUOTE=negritude;2217814]Best CD Burners:

Yamaha CRW-F1 (IDE or SCSI)
Plextor Premium II (IDE)
Plextor Premium (IDE)
Lite-On LTR-52327S (IDE)

Unfortunately, those are no longer being made, and can only be found on eBay.

The alternative is a DVD burner that burns CDs. No DVD burner is as good as a dedicated CD burner at burning CDs. Just keep that in mind. Of the drives available, the best would be:

Pioneer DVR-115D (IDE) or 215D (SATA)
Samsung SH-S203N (SATA)
Optiarc AD-7200A (IDE) or AD-7200S (SATA)

Unfortunately, even these drives are getting harder to find as some are no longer in current production. Once again, if you can’t find them at a regular store, try eBay.

A few other choices for good CD burning DVD drives that would be eBay only:

BenQ DW1640 (IDE)
Plextor PX-760A (IDE)
Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Oh, and for the record, when it comes to CDs, the best burning drives are also the best ripping drives. The two things kind of go hand in hand.[/QUOTE]

It’s right there, a few posts up. Highlighted the important part for your pleasure.

[QUOTE=negritude;2217814]
Oh, and for the record, when it comes to CDs, the best burning drives are also the best ripping drives. The two things kind of go hand in hand.[/QUOTE]

Hi. I have to disagree here. My LG-GSA H62N, is an excellent CD burner, but it’s a terrible CD ripper and my Lite-On DH-204AH (and my LH-20A1H) is a great CD ripper but a terrible CD writer.

My Pioneer DVR-115 is a very good CD writer and decent CD ripper. The DVR-112 is a better CD ripper, but it’s a bit worse than the DVR-115 for CD burning (+1% jitter than 115). I don’t know how the DVR-116 should behave, but it should be similar.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2231168]Hi. I have to disagree here. My LG-GSA H62N, is an excellent CD burner, but it’s a terrible CD ripper and my Lite-On DH-204AH (and my LH-20A1H) is a great CD ripper but a terrible CD writer.

My Pioneer DVR-115 is a very good CD writer and decent CD ripper. The DVR-112 is a better CD ripper, but it’s a bit worse than the DVR-115 for CD burning (+1% jitter than 115). I don’t know how the DVR-116 should behave, but it should be similar.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking along the lines of CD drives writing/reading (maybe negritude was too?), not of DVD writers being used for CD writing/reading. If you consider that, the statement is true then, but if you include DVD drives then it is false in most situations.

FWIW, my H62N sucks at writing CDs. :stuck_out_tongue: My LTR-52327S and Plextor PX-W2410A however does an excellent job of both ripping and writing CDs. :slight_smile: