Necflash broken on Mac OS X

vbimport

Is there any possibility that the issue of necflash no longer working on OS X is going to be resolved? I flashed my trusty old 3500 several times successfully. I have found that a couple of Mac users have posted their problems, and were told to flash their drive on a PC. This is not an option for me unfortunately. Thanks.

Power PC Mac G4
OS X 10.5.3
AD-7200A

I was not aware that my flasher completely stopped working on OS X. The only problem I know is with a certain kind of slimline drives in some iMacs I think. What happens if you try to dump or flash your firmware now?

The top image is scanning for supported drives. The bottom window is attempting to flash 1z2 firmware. Thanks for your time.

Looks like OS X (which version are you running?) doesn’t pass all the required commands to the drive in some cases. Since the same commands work fine in DOS, Windows or Linux there’s probably not much I can do about it. :frowning:

Try booting OS X into safe mode and try again. To get into safe mode, reboot and hold down the shift key until you see the spinning circle. When you get to the login screen, enter your username and password, but before you hit enter, hold down the shift key again and keep holding it while you click the login button.

Also, when running the necflash command, make sure you prefix it with sudo so as to run as root. You’ll need to type in an admin password.

Yeah, sometimes OS X has a really weird behaviour on (flashing) software.

Thanks for the help fellas. Unfortunately, I get the same error in safe mode. As an experiment, I put my old 3500 back in, and it flashed fine.

You did not try to crossflash the drive, did you?

Could you try to run a necflash -identify A: identify.txt and provide the output of the identify.txt file?

Please provide the following information at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.
php?t=105676
— Start of identification —
Version: 1.45
Normal : OPTIARC - DVD RW AD-5630A - 1AHM
Boot : <FF><BF>8^\ - <A0><E0>ESC
79000000B8FBFFBFAE2600000A000000930A0100930A0100930A0100930A0100
51363330XXXXXXXX00000000
— End of identification —

[QUOTE=Liggy;2089801]You did not try to crossflash the drive, did you?

Could you try to run a necflash -identify A: identify.txt and provide the output of the identify.txt file?[/QUOTE]

Please provide the following information at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=105676
— Start of identification —
Version: 1.45
Normal : Optiarc - DVD RW AD-7200A - 1.05
Boot : ú∂Äï ∂Äøˇ›Äè„U,ï ∫Pè„V¥øˇ‹‡ - ›Äè„U,ï ∫Pè„V¥øˇ‹‡
0000001D00000000955924ECBFFFD8500000004895592550000000070000001C
47323030XXXXXXXXXXXXXX00
— End of identification —

Looks like Apple for some reason doesn’t allow several commands being sent to the drive. I don’t think there’s any way I could fix this and I’m not going to write my own kext which probably would be required here. Please send your complaints to Apple.

The strange output was just a display issue by incorrect processing of data if some steps failed what they actually did for you. This will be fixed in the next version.

Liggy, thanks for your time and efforts.

I repeat what I said before, are you running the command(s) as an admin with sudo? Lots of command-line things will not work in OS X if running in a non-admin account or without sudo (su).

[QUOTE=negritude;2092185]I repeat what I said before, are you running the command(s) as an admin with sudo? Lots of command-line things will not work in OS X if running in a non-admin account or without sudo (su).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I tried that. Same error.