NEC3520A write quality

vbimport

My NEC3520A arrived this morning and I was immediately impressed with the read speed when compared to my BenQ1620.

But when I had burned 4 disks I began to wonder whether I had made a mistake buying the NEC.

Using 4 different brands ( Ritek R03, TYG02, Yuden000 T02, and MCC 003)
I obtained satisfactory results ( quality scores between 95 and 95) but there was none of the stability that I’m used to with the BenQ. Jitter was all over the place. PI errors were high and then suddenly dropped an so on.

All 4 disks play fine, were verified by Nero so my question is:

Does the NEC3520A currently produce relatively poorer quality scans than the BenQ because it is a newer drive with imature firmware ?
or
Is the Nero DVD speed software in a BenQ1620 drive biased towards the BenQ ?

My guess is that it a bit of both.

Until NEC release more mature firmware I will go back to burning with the BenQ but run speed tests on the NEC.

It would be interesting to see some of your scans. The quality difference might not be enough to matter.

Does the NEC3520A currently produce relatively poorer quality scans than the BenQ because it is a newer drive with imature firmware ?

Yes

The ND-3520 can write with good quality, it is a fast reader, but a poor reader at higher speeds (12X to 16X)

Interesting point about 12X to 16X. So far I have only had one disk show read problems at 15X + ( Verbatim) the others have shown good scans to the end. It does seem that some disks burn better on the NEC and some on the BenQ1620 - although both burn well. I think individual variation in disk quality is more likely to explain scan differences.

I think individual variation in disk quality is more likely to explain scan differences.
absolutely.

While that would seem logical, statistics dictate otherwise. Same discs from the same spindle burn consistenly (albeit marginally) better on the BenQ 1620 than on the NEC 3520. I got my 1620 just for scanning, but the burn quality has impressed me.

I guess I got an atypical 3520, cause it reads great at 16x and writes nearly perfectly, all with the stock FW.

TY T02 burned at 16x in 5:55:

MCC004 burned at 16x in 5:50:

TY G02 burned at 12x: (also reads perrfectly at 16x)

Any indication that 1.04 produces better burns than 1.25? I’ve been running the latter since I got the drive, shall I revert back?

i only got my nec a few days ago, the first burns where not that good. but they have improved since, i think the drive needs to run in before you get best quality burns.

When I burn a disc using Nero 6, I will have 3-5 times where the lead-in buffer runs from 97% down to 7% or so. It doesn’t matter what speed I burn at. I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media rated at 8X. Is this normal for this drive? I just flashed the firmware to 1.08 beta. It did not help with this. Any help would be appreciated as I am concerned this is NOT normal.

yes it is.

its called AOPC do a search or read in the NEC F.A.Q

Thanks.