Hi everyone! I am trying to flash my Lacie DVD burner. It is a NEC-3500AG drive. I got the firmware that I want to use (2.18 Extreme) and have tried to flash the drive using necFlashX (GUI for binflash on Mac), but when it says that it is complete the firmware still shows up as my original 2.07 firmware.
My exact steps.....
- downloaded and extracted the bin file on my desktop.
- ran necFlashX and it was able to see my drive using the stock 2.07 firmware.
- clicked on the 'firmware' button and "dumped" my original firmware to file on my desktop.
- clicked on the 'firmware' button and then 'flash'. Selected the new bin file for it to use and it goes on and says it performed the falsh successfuly.
- check the version and it is still 2.07
- put in a region 2 disk to see if the version # just does not show up correctly and it tells me that I have to change the region code on the drive. So it obviously did not work or else the drive would be region free.
There are/were a few things that were a little strange... When I put the region 2 DVD in the drive.... it said that I have only 4 more times to change the region code. What is weird about this is that I have never changed the region code before and it always says I have 5 times, so I am guessing that the firmware upgrade attempt counted as a region change for some reason.
The other weird thing was that after the update was supposedly performed the necFlashX program showed the old version # and had the device path showing the directory path to the new firmware on my desktop. Am I missing something here?
I really don't want to test trying to get it working on my own because I am afraid that my 4 changes remaining are going to be used up and the drive locked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!