NEC2510 or Pioneer107?

vbimport

Need advice please. I am choosing between NEC2510 vs Pioneer 107D. Cost difference or DL capability not an issue. Will be using DVD-R for better compatibility with my 3 yr old standalone player (Pioneer XV-HTD1). In fact, I’m getting Ridata 4X DVD-R 50 pcs cakebox from NewEgg. So I guess bitsetting capability of NEC is also a non-factor.

Keep hearing that NEC has best write quality. Does this translate to higher success rates of burns? But aslo hear that Pioneer has better success with Ridata/Ritek G04 DVD-R’s. Also saw in reviews that Pioneer has faster -R burning, and can read scratched discs better. Comments are hard to assess because a lot only have experience with one drive or the other, so it is usually biased. So comments from people with experience with both drives are very welcome.

I guess bottom line is compatibility with my player, AND the Ritek DVD-R discs i will be getting. If the same, which do you think will be better? Would appreciate advice. Thanks a lot

idoc

I have both a NEC-2500A and a NEC-2510A, both essentially the same writer. First the NECs will not bit set with stock firmware, except for the NEC-2510A and that’s for DL media only, which you don’t care about anyway. I have a friend who has a Pioneer 107D which will not write as well to lower grade media as my NECs. I’ve made that comparison. With low grade media, my NECs win out, but I avoid using low grade media as I can get TY or Maxell for the same price if I buy carefully and then I don’t have to worry about commercial player compatibility. It’s still a little difficult to fairly compare the two writers as my friend generally buys any media because he thinks all “name brand media are the same.” As a result, he has low quality burns which are sometimes incompatible with all but the most tolerant commercial players. With the media that I mentioned (TY and Maxell -R) I have burned the same file on both my friends Pioneer 107D and my NEC’s. The NECs scan a little better, but both play without problems on all the commercial players I have tried. I am unfamiliar with your commercial player so I couldn’t comment on that. I don’t consider Ritek a good consistent quality media, some good, some bad, some mixed, and the NEC seems to burn at 8X slower that my other 8X recorders.
EDIT
I almost forgot to mention that I am using Herries beta 5 firmware on the NECs so I am comparing 4X media recorded at 8X on the NEC to 4X on the Pioneer.
/EDIT

@Blackwolf
Thanks for the response. It would be interesting if you had the chance to use Ritek DVD-R for both drives since this would be most relevant for me. The TY and Maxell are a little expensive for me, so I’m hoping that I’ll be having success with the Ritek.

With the media that I mentioned (TY and Maxell -R) I have burned the same file on both my friends Pioneer 107D and my NEC’s. The NECs scan a little better, but both play without problems on all the commercial players I have tried.

I’m not familiar with error testing of DVD-R so pls bear with me. In real-life application, if both burns play well on commercial players you tried, what impact does the better scan for the NEC have?

idoc

Hi Idoc:
as I told you by PM, I guess I will need some additional time until I get a clear picture about which one is better. I see you need a quick advise, as you will purchase your burner tomorrow. I am sorry I can’t help you now.

But as Blackwolf says, if you can get discs with “Manufacturer ID”=Taiyo Yuden or Maxell, you will get better results with any burner. At least this is what many people says. I have 25 Verbatim Pastels (TY); I will test them shortly… after I clarify the scratches issue I have.

good luck anyway.

I’m not familiar with error testing of DVD-R so pls bear with me. In real-life application, if both burns play well on commercial players you tried, what impact does the better scan for the NEC have?

A better scan means that the disc has less errors, and then, lower chance that the reader has “jumps” or changes in rotation speed. But if a movie plays perfect in a player, then it means the errors are low enough.

I found some RITEKG04 discs that came as a free customer appreciation gift along with a drive I purchased from Newegg. I burned four of the five pack on a NEC-2400A and NEC-2410A. The scans were not up the quality expected from TYG01s or the MXL RG02s, but only one would be questionable. It appears that the RiTEK (RITEKG04) media that I was given is erratic in quality. I would be willing to post the scans if it would be helpful. To be helpful it seems to me that we would need some scans of the same media on a Pioneer 107D.

I believe the free DVD-R discs given as Appreciation gifts at NewEgg are indeed Ritek G04’s but rebadged as NewEgg DVD-R. I don’t know if this is of same quality as Ridata branded discs I’m planning to get from NewEgg. Been reading the product reviews of the Riteks in Newegg and am reading a lot of 107 owners reporting good success with the discs.