NEC1300A - Not good with RitekG04!

Well,

maybe it was just a matter of time and a matter of different batches of RitekG04s. The latest suck big time now with the NEC1300A. They burn still great with my Pioneer DVR-105.

This is addressing rdgrimes and OC-Freak: Don’t say that the RitekG04 are varying much. That’s not the case.
Pioneer owners will not see any difference. Now- my NEC1300A shows now power calibration errors with the newest RitekG04 I have. Disc code is H4-2L…
Worked with older H4-2L and H5-4L with no problems. Had the lens of the NEC cleaned. Even disassembled it for cleaning. Did not help…

All I can say: Use Plus discs with the NEC1300A if you have valuable data. Don’t buy the NEC1300A if you want to burn RitekG04 which is good, decently priced media.

The lesson is this: Don’t go for the cheapest burner because you have to get expensive media. Pay the little extra money for the burner so you can use decent, reliable media. Sum up the total cost and you will see that the cheapest burner is not always the best deal.

Vid

Odd… my 1300a burns all RITEKG04 i have just fine.

Which firmware version do you have?

with version 1.08v2 from Herrie, you do not have any problems

Burnt approx 70 Ritek G04 +r dvdr’s from svp with no problem in my NEC 1300 using NEC official firmware from 1.05 to 1.0a - never a problem. If they havfe changed something about the media recently then they will lose me as a customer.

I am fed up with this non-stop bulls**t of media + drive problems. Manufacturers of media + drives should not be in the business if they cannot get basic problem free burning onto well known media working with major brand drives. If the drives are -r/+r and the media is -r/+r then they should work. Error rates may fluctuate, but a general all green result should be returned every time.

But will anything ever be done to make the industry clear up this mess - no, of course not.

Originally posted by icey
Burnt approx 70 Ritek G04 +r dvdr’s from svp with no problem…

Correction: Ritek G04 is DVD-R media, NOT DVD+R

Every new technology has issues and improvements that need to be worked out.
CD burners had many problems when they were first released.

Don’t remember having such problems with my plextor R412C 4-speed scsi back in them days :wink: . We’re not in the first wave of dvdburners and still you have to look carefully what media you buy. I wouldn’t mind if there was just a quality difference, but that some writers just don’t accept certain dvd’s is just rediculous.
But when you just read these forums carefully you know what to buy, and better what NOT to buy. I takes a bit of research but in the end you won’t be waisting your money on cheap or non-compatible media.

Originally posted by coopervid
Well,
This is addressing rdgrimes and OC-Freak: Don’t say that the RitekG04 are varying much. That’s not the case.
Pioneer owners will not see any difference. Now- my NEC1300A shows now power calibration errors with the newest RitekG04 I have. Disc code is H4-2L…
Worked with older H4-2L and H5-4L with no problems. Had the lens of the NEC cleaned. Even disassembled it for cleaning. Did not help…

I wish you were right, but I’m afraid the situation isn’t as good as we all hope it would be…

I’ve been a victim of the varing quality of Ritek media twice now. The first time I had the problem was with Platinum CDRs: no matter what burner I used (either a Plextor Premium or a LiteOn drive), the problem persisted. Same again with some Ritek R02 media. They didn’t burn at all at my NEC1300a. My 2500a burns most of them fine, but the problem’s still there.

The 1300a is a burner that burns quite well on quality discs. Cheap media will most likely get you into troubles though…

I’m not talking about CD-R. I’m talking about DVD-R media and especially about DVD-R Ritek G04. Burned on my Pioneer DVR-105 I see no difference among the different batches of Ritek G04 at all. However, same discs burned with the NEC gives me all kinds of trouble. My logical conclusion is - it’s the burner and not the discs. Also - the NEC2500 is not the ideal burner to use Ritek G04. Therefore I think that your conclusion is not correct. 2x bad write strategies (1300 , 2500) makes you blame the discs when you should blame the burner. If you have a friend with any Pioneer burner give one or two discs to her / him and check the result.

Vid