NEC Optiars AD-7590A-01 Master to Slave

Hello.I’m new to forums,so please be patient.I have a Toshiba A75-S226 laptop.Everybody probably knows that Toshiba laptops can be picky when it comes to optical drives.It seems that the best choices are the NEC/Optiarc drives.After browsing these forums,I came to the conclusion that I can use the AD-7590A-01.Worst case is that I will need to order an IDE to slimline adapter to connect the drive to my PC and use the (G590A_ATAChange_Tool.ZIP) I found on this forum.For some reason,I get the impression from reading forum posts that the drive comes set to Master.That would be perfect as my laptops optical drive is on the secondary IDE,master position.I emailed NEC/Optiarc support and they replied that the drives default setting should be CS.So I don’t know what it will be.If anyone has any more info that can help me or to correct me if i’m wrong about something please do so.You can email me if needed.THANKS for any help.

CS=Cable select in this case. And that’s what Toshiba seems to be unable to handle properly. :Z
In this case it should work to set the drive to Inverse Cable Select.

The CS setting tells the drive on one of his pins whether to use master or slave mode. Unfortunately Toshiba seems to provide the wrong signal on this pin and that’s what makes most drives fail. The Inverse CS mode tells the drive to use the opposite mode of what it should be according to the CS pin. So you don’t need to care whether it’s really master or slave.

If you can get access to another laptop that is able to recognize the drive, you should be able to change the mode there without having to buy an IDE adapter.

Hi Liggy.I appreciate your help.I would have first set it to master and would have been back and forth until I found the right setting,I guess.I ordered the drive from Newegg this morning.I should get it the first of next week.Maybe by then I can borrow a laptop from someone.If not,I found the adapter on Ebay for cheap.If I have any problems,i’ll be back in touch.THANKS…S.Powell.

I received the AD-7590A-01 drive this morning.I installed it into my Toshibe A75-S226 laptop and it was recognized and works perfectly.I really expected to have problems and would need to reset the drives IDE/ATA setting.I’m amazed(and very relived)not to have had to do that.I really appreciate Liggy’s help and maybe my situation may help someone else.

Is this 7590 a good drive to buy? I haven’t seen too much info/reviews on it yet

Hello.I installed it last Friday and it read a data DVD fine,but to be honest,I haven’t burned anything with it yet.When I purchased it from Newegg,it had three reviews.All three were five star.A previous NEC/Optiarc model (older) which is perpetually out of stock,had excellent ratings,so I went with this (newest) model.The NEC/Optiarc drives are the only ones that I have found so far,that you can change the IDE/ATA settings.This is a must for some Toshiba laptops.Only time and use will tell if it is a good drive.I hope this helps.Feel free to ask any more questions.I’ll update if something arises.S.P.

I recently purchased this drive and had the same concerns as the original poster and had to switch the drive to master.Once i did that though i find the drive performs very well.I have burned a few DVD’s,CD’s and ISO images with it so far and havent had any problems even with brands of DVD’s like Office Depot.I’d recommend this drive to someone looking for upgrades.Just be sure your laptop wont have a problem with the default jumper settings.

Thanks, both of you guys. I do have a Toshiba Satellite but I can’t find out which cable setting it does use so I’m definitely interested in an Optiarc due to the reprogrammable settings. For now, I was able to revive my current Matshita (canned air across the laser seems to have done the job) but I definitely want to upgrade it. I already lost one file (the hardest one to get mind you) out of an improper burn and don’t plan on losing another one.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2009043]CS=Cable select in this case. And that’s what Toshiba seems to be unable to handle properly. :Z
In this case it should work to set the drive to Inverse Cable Select.

The CS setting tells the drive on one of his pins whether to use master or slave mode. Unfortunately Toshiba seems to provide the wrong signal on this pin and that’s what makes most drives fail. The Inverse CS mode tells the drive to use the opposite mode of what it should be according to the CS pin. So you don’t need to care whether it’s really master or slave.

If you can get access to another laptop that is able to recognize the drive, you should be able to change the mode there without having to buy an IDE adapter.[/QUOTE]

Is it also possible to use the program from NEC and a cable from an external flash drive. The connector is the same as the mini-laptop and the other end has a USB. I wonder if this cable plugged into a desktop USB port and the NEC correction program can be used. In this way the board for IDE to DVD is not needed. Any thoughts?

Hello KDJ.I don’t know if the method you are asking about will work or not.If it doesn’t have a standard IDE cable,I start asking questions.I don’t think you can damage anything by connecting it the way you are asking.If the USB port can handle an ext floppy,it should be able to power a slim dvd drive.If the system sees the drive and the NEC utility sees the drive,it may work…BUT!..I really don’t know for sure.I would be pretty certain before I tried anything.I’ve only heard of the adapter board method.Luckily my Toshiba recognized the drive with no problems.I’m sure someone with the correct info will respond to your inquiry soon.And for general info,the drive in question which I purchased works flawlessly…S.P.

Thanks much for your reply. I contacted NEC and posed the same question and they thought that it would work. I guess I will try and post eventually. If anyone has done this or can think of reasons why not please post. Your point about the USB power is well noted. I was thinking that a slim line might be easy to power thru the USB. We’ll have to see. My Toshiba M35 did not see the NEC AD-7590A when I connected it so I have to reprogram the master/slave ID.