NEC Optiarc AD7203A Question

vbimport

Hey,

searched the forums but only two topics came up for this burner. I recently bought it found out it makes some weird noises.
When I open/close it, when the system boots up and other such moments, the player releases a two tone sound. Then
when it starts spinning it makes two or three swooshing sounds. I can’t find any reviews so I don’t know if this is normal or
not. Is it? Also, it quite regulary shows up with a disk ikon in My Computer. What’s up with that?

First is a disk, the second my DVD-RW drive.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Slycer;2030580]Hey,

searched the forums but only two topics came up for this burner. I recently bought it found out it makes some weird noises.
When I open/close it, when the system boots up and other such moments, the player releases a two tone sound. Then
when it starts spinning it makes two or three swooshing sounds. I can’t find any reviews so I don’t know if this is normal or
not. Is it?[/QUOTE] My 7203S makes the same noises, so I guess they are normal.

Yesterday my 7203S started to behave strangely - when I open tray, it close it immediatelly. Just under windows, I can not test linux. Under bios it is ok. I installed a clean windows right now, it’s doing it under safe mode too.
I regret that I can not pursue this issue as I will go to change this unit to my reseller in few moments but I wanted to let someone know about this flaw. It reminds me of problems of 455x series…

This “sounds” are normal and no issues.

Little update - after RMA the new unit was doing the same, so I went to backuped windows, tried to elaborate what is causing this problem. It was AHCI mode of ICH9R under xp. JMicron and normal mode of ICH9 was working ok. I ended with some deleting of devices and drivers under hardware management (little bit controllers, older instantions of 7203 - after all, I have backup (: ) and after all this xp after next restart reloaded and reinstalled ICH9 AHCI driver, detected 7203 and hdd units and voila - 7203 was working perfectly again (o:
Only thing I can’t understand is why it wasn’t doing normally under clean windows (with ich9 driver - but new installation) …