NEC/Optiarc AD-7170A Problems

vbimport

#1

Hello!

I’ve been having some issues with my AD-7170A drive. It has problems reading various DVDs or CDs, both factory-made and burned on this drive.

It will take a long time spinning the media, and then say that the drive is empty. I usually have to eject and re-insert the media several times before it finally detects it. Even then it takes a long time to read the media and figure out what it is. Once it is detected, it has no problem reading from or writing to the media until it is ejected.

The drive currently has firmware 1.02 according to Binflash. I was thinking maybe a firmware upgrade (to original Optiarc 1.04) would help. But I am having the same checksum error problem that many people seem to be having.

I have tried rebooting in Safe-Mode and setting the transfer mode to “PIO Only” for the IDE controller in the device manager. When the transfer mode is on “DMA if available”, the current mode shows “Ultra DMA Mode 5”. When on “PIO Only”, the current mode shows “PIO Mode”.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte P965 DS3 (Rev. 3.3) with the F11 bios. My single hard drive is SATA, so my AD-7170A is connected on the Primary IDE Channel as a Master.

I apologize in advance for adding to the many threads regarding the checksum error. I only did this because both the safe-mode and the “PIO Only” transfer mode solutions did not work for me. I did see somebody else having this problem on a Gigabyte DS3 but was able to flash the drive on his friend’s computer. I’m trying to see if it is possible to fix this before I take this over to somebody else’s computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!


#2

Welcome to the forum.
Does the drive also have problems reading pressed CD’s or DVD’s?
If it has, then it sounds like the drive is faulty and flashing a new firmware is unlikely to help.


#3

[quote=Dee-27;2002831]Welcome to the forum.
Does the drive also have problems reading pressed CD’s or DVD’s?
If it has, then it sounds like the drive is faulty and flashing a new firmware is unlikely to help.[/quote]

Thanks.

If “pressed” means factory-made (e.g. my original Warcraft 3 CD), then yes.

I also figured out the checksum error. Apparently the IDE channels I was modifying in the device manager were not the correct ones. In fact, the correct IDE channels weren’t even detected there. I had to download the JMicron drivers (http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm) and install the standard IDE driver that it came with. After that, another pair of Primary+Secondary IDE channels appeared in the device manager. The primary channel’s transfer mode here was “Ultra DMA Mode 4” (not 5). I was able to change this one to “PIO Only” and flash the firmware to 1.04.

But yeah, I’m not sure if this would fix it either. I’ll play with some more DVDs and CDs over the next little while and see how it goes.


#4

I had an old LG drive that started acting exactly like this before it went out completely. trouble reading several re-inserting, but writing ok. etc…