NEC/Optiarc AD-7170A Issue...Help!

I just purchased a new NEC/Optiarc AD-7170A today, but unfortunately I cannot get it to work. I called customer support numerous times and they were unable to provide me with a solution to the problem…

Okay, Here’s my situation: when I put a DVD or CD in the burner it will recognize the name: “Shrek (E:)”, however, it just spins for a bit then stops; it will not read the contents, nor execute the autorun.exe. When I right click and explore the DVD or CD, it either freezes, or I am only able to see the files without recognizable icons.

I’m pretty sure it’s a software issue since I recently returned a pioneer DVD burner for the same reason. I’m running Windows XP-64bit Professional, so this might have something to do with it. Also, I’m using a 40pin belt cable (all I have for right now), so I’m wondering if this has something to do with the problem?

Note: My NEC 3520 works perfectly (on same 40pin belt cable) as a slave or master. One thing I did notice is that both AD-7170 and ND-3520 are using the same driver version (5.2.3790.1830).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fast,

Here’s the error I’m getting on the AD-7170A

E:\

“Only part of ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.”

Problem Solved:

1. go to device manager

2. go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

3. right click (1st one in list) parallel ATA controller & select properties

4. go to secondary channel

5. uncheck let bios select transfer speed

6. change transfer mode to ultra 33

I’m glad you got the drive working, but you should also replace the IDE cable with a 80 conductor type, as this drive should be in UDMA mode 4 for correct operation.