NEC/Optiarc AD-5170A firmware question

Hi all,

Hope you don’t mind me asking this stupid question!!

I’ve had a NEC/Optiarc AD-5170A for months now (since Jan 07) and 1st thing I did was flash firmware to Liggy’s 1.O2 firmware so I to make it region free/RPC-1. I’ve had no problems with XP or MCE2005.

I’m now running Vista Ultimate specifically for Vista Media Centre and the problem I am having is with DRM on VMC - related to the drive being RPC-1. I’m having to use AnyDVD to “fool” VMC, but this is causing other problems!

Now the question:Most of my R1 DVDs are ripped to HDD so I no longer need the drive to be RPC-1.
If I was to revert to my original RPC-2 firmware and I use up my “region counter” (i.e. the number of region changes allowed by the drive/Vista), if I was to flash to RPC-1 firmware again, would this reset the counter? (Also would this work if I was to then reflash to original RPC-2?)

Sorry for the long post!!

Regards

The counter is stored in an area different from the drives firmware. While the RPC1 firmwares just ignore this counter, they do not reset the values and after flashing back to RPC2 you will have the same number of changes left that you had before flashing.

I guess I should update my region code reset tool to work with some newer drives. :o

[quote=Liggy;1978484]The counter is stored in an area different from the drives firmware. While the RPC1 firmwares just ignore this counter, they do not reset the values and after flashing back to RPC2 you will have the same number of changes left that you had before flashing.

I guess I should update my region code reset tool to work with some newer drives. :o[/quote]
Thanks for the prompt reply Liggy - and from the main man himself!
So I can’t get round this problem via firmware!
From your comment about your region reset tool, does this mean it doesn’t work for my drive?
Also, if I used all my “region counters” if I have RPC2 firmware, if I flashed to RPC1 firmware, the counter would be ignored - correct?

I said I didn’t like AnyDVD, but if I used RPC2 firmware (region-locked), could I use DVDRegion Free or is this just like AnyDVD?[U][/U]