NEC NR-7800A + Any Protection = :(?

vbimport

I just purchased a Dell P4-1.7GHz, 1GB PC800 RAM, 16x NEC NR-5800A DVD, 16x/10x/40x NEC NR-7800A CD-RW, WinME, and I am having troubles with writing working copies of the major protection schemes (Safedisc v1&2, Securom 1&2, etc.). I read everything in the trial of the new CloneCD the way CloneDB configures it based on protection scheme and get the errors I’m supposed(?) to for Safedisc, for example. I then write the data to the CDR at 8x and attempt to use the program, unsuccessfully. I am using firmware 1.07, because I can’t find ANYWHERE providing firmware for NEC drives (I guess www.nec.com doesn’t support their CDRW drives?) nor can I find any FAQs about them.

That new BetaCD or BetaBlocker program that was developed for SafeDisc v2 games only produces SD2 games that crash when the protection is being scanned (in Black and White, for instance) on my setup. I have no idea how to make working backups of my legally owned software (hell, I have all the CD-Keys, Boxes, Instruction Manuals, Receipts, AND CDs to prove it) and certainly would like some pointers on how to get my games working without the usage of some memory-resident program or cracked .exe file. In other words, I want to make fully functioning backups of games I paid for the way I paid for them.

Thanks in advance,

SigmaXIX

Originally posted by SigmaXIX
I read everything in the trial of the new CloneCD the way CloneDB configures it based on protection scheme and get the errors I’m supposed(?) to for Safedisc, for example. I then write the data to the CDR at 8x and attempt to use the program, unsuccessfully.
Yes you’re supposed to get read errors with a SafeDisc (2) protected game. What exactly goes wrong when trying to write the image? Are you using ALI, VIA or INTEL busmaster drivers?

Let me know.

I am using all MS-supplied drivers for my Intel mobo. When writing the images, I get no errors, however when physically starting up a game (the Sims, Diablo II (install doesn’t work), C&C: RA2, B&W, Undying, etc.) I will be asked to insert my original CD or I will get some type of error:

“[Program Name] has caused an error in ~DF394B.TMP.” (this changes depending on game) “[Program Name] will now close.
If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.” :confused:

I must mention that I am using Fujifilm branded 700mb/80min green-dye CD-Rs rated for 8x. Also, when I load up Daemon Tools, the programs work 100%. And, yes, the NR-7800a supports all those RAW writing modes. Perhaps I should try a different media type? I will go and buy some Memorex and some generic branded CD-Rs & -RWs on sale at CompUSA today, and will see if media plays a role in the functionality of my software titles. I should get my first few coasters in a couple of hours, at which point I’ll share my results.

Thanx,

SigmaXIX

I see your problem… The games you’re trying to copy have the SafeDisc 2 protection (at least most of them) which your burner does not support… :frowning: Maybe you could try BetaBlocker (see the CD Freaks main site). Other solutions are:

-DAEMON Tools (but you already discovered this program).
-InseKTorS
-PlayBackup

But I would recommend BetaBlocker if your burner supports it and it works with your gametitle or DAEMON Tools.

Goodluck!

If you need more info please post.

Ps. It doesn’t matter which brand of CD-R’s you use. SD2 totally depends on your writer.

Well, I just got some CompUSA (Generic) brand 74-min CDRWs and copied the game Black & White over again, and used BetaBlocker English. I set my writer to read the CD at max (40x) and to write at 10x (max CDRW). I didn’t bother using CloneDB to detect the protection, and did the options manually. This time, the game actually worked when I inserted it into the DVD drive. I then proceeded to copy The Sims onto a 74-min CDRW (as opposed to 80-min CDR) the same way and, for the first time in the history of my writer, got a working SafeDisc & SafeDisc 2 copy without having to use a cracked exe or daemon tools-like file. That BetaBlocker works real good. Maybe on the old backups, I had burnproof enabled and underran the buffer, was writing too fast for the media (only in the case of the Sims), or some force of the software industry just kept me from copying my games? Everything is working over here, except I am still having difficulty with Diablo II Install CD (but, I guess I’ll have to be careful with the original). Thanks for the help G@M3FR3@K.

SigmaXIX
Former BBS Admin (for anybody that still remembers those old dial-in things…)

Originally posted by SigmaXIX
except I am still having difficulty with Diablo II Install CD (but, I guess I’ll have to be careful with the original). Thanks for the help G@M3FR3@K.
This game doesn’t have the SafeDisc 2 protection so it doesn’t work with BetaBlocker (which is indeed a great program). You should use these settings:

READ:
-SubChannel Data from Data Tracks
-SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks

The other settings should be left default. You can try but I cannot guarantee it’ll work. Goodluck with your back-ups :slight_smile: