NEC nr-7700a problem

my cd/rw nec nr 7700a isn’t recognised by my pc 9 times out of 10. the light on the front flashes on and off. sometimes when i reboot, after a windows update for example it will be recognised. Hasanyone any ideas as to what the problem is ?

Hi and be welcome!

Before I/we can answer your question, there’s one very important thing to know: is your drive not recognized by your system itsself (so by the BIOS), or just not in Windows?

its recognised in bios but not windows

How does it appear in Device manager (DMA mode is what I am referring to)?

it isn’t in device manager

Originally posted by grahalex
its recognised in bios but not windows

Okay that’s important to know. You may want to try to (re)install your chipset drivers or delete your IDE channel from the device manager and reboot.

You could read the sticky thread above (“My optical drive doesnt…”) for more tips!

Also, to add a note, deleting IDE channels from Windows doesn’t always work, so do it from Safe Mode as well.

tried reinstalling ide drivers, no improvement

Originally posted by grahalex
tried reinstalling ide drivers, no improvement

Hmm ok that is rather odd.

Can you perhaps check if there’s any malicious software running on your PC?

A good way to test if your system is working alright is making use of Knoppix. Knoppix is a so-called live-Linux version that boots from cd and works completely independent of your installed software.
If you are on a broadband connection, you could try to download Knoppix and test your drive from there. If it works alright in Knoppix, it must be Windows that’s messed up.
Knoppix can be downloaded here!

I got Knoppix but it needs to be burnt onto cd, its my crrw that wont work so I can’t do this. Does the light on the front that keeps flashing mean anything ?

As a side issue is my system configured the optimal way ?
Primary ide- master: maxtor 40 gb hd
slave: Matshita dvdrom

Secondary ide- master:nec nr 7700a cdrw
slave: fujitsu 8 gb hd

As a side issue is my system configured the optimal way ?
Primary ide- master: maxtor 40 gb hd
slave: Matshita dvdrom

Secondary ide- master:nec nr 7700a cdrw
slave: fujitsu 8 gb hd

Originally posted by grahalex Does the light on the front that keeps flashing mean anything?

Euh well it could mean any random error. Did it flash all the time when there were no problems with the device?

Originally posted by grahalex As a side issue is my system configured the optimal way ?

Yes I think it is. Normally I’d advice to put both IDE HDD drives on one channdel and the opticals on the other, but as the 8GB drive is probably DMA33 (just like the opticals), it would give the primary harddrive the same performance, but it’d allow less flexible use of your setup (on the fly 1:1 copies).

When the drive is working the light is off. I uninstalled nero and ide today and it worked for a bit . But now its back to not working.

Hi
I have exactly the same problem
I’ve changed cables, IDE chanels, master/slave options but nothing helps.

I think the problem is in the Motherborad or in the CD-ROM itself, because when it’s not working the CD is not recognized by the BIOS properly.
BIOS shows “NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:IDE 2.0” and when it’s working the BIOS shows “_NEC NR-7700A”

My MB is Gigabyte 7VA rev1.0.

Can someone suggest solution ?

Hello again,

After 3 hours seraching in hardware forums I finally found the answer in this post http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/10398/

you need just to flash(upgrade) your firmware :)))
I’ve did it and all is OK now

Good Luck !!!

I’m having the same problem but I can’t find any bios or firmware updates on NEC’s website. Does anybody know where I can find the bios update?