NEC ND3540A Flashing Failed - Drive won't work

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-3540A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Everyone,

I had a problem with my NEC ND-3540A drive regarding reading DVD-R discs, and I was trying to play around with different firmware versions to see if that would help, and unfortunately during one of my flashing attempts the drive just stopped responding, and the flashing failed.

Now whenever I reboot the computer the drive’s led indicator just flashes non stop, and it won’t respond to anything. BIOS can still recognize it, but windows can’t see it or use it.

I used “Binflash GUI 1.46b” from Windows XP (SP3) to flash the drive.

Is there anything that could be done now to recover my drive?

I read on this thread that apparently some people have had luck recovering NEC drives with this problem by using a DOS based flasher from a BOOT disc, but there were no specific instructions provided, and I couldn’t really find any more specific information.

I’d really appreciate it if someone could give me some quick instructions on how to do this correctly, if indeed it’s even possible!

Thanks in advance!

Okay, never mind! I figured out how to use the DOS flasher, and managed to bring my drive back to life!

Thanks in any case! :slight_smile: