NEC ND3520A won't see anu CDs but have no problems with DVDs

vbimport

Hi folks! Just found this community through link on Nero Linux page and thought I could try to ask about my problem here(I’ve already post this question on my forum and few other communities but failed to find out what it could be).

I’m Linux(Debian) user and month ago(or maybe longer) I’ve got NEC 3520A as a present from other country, it come in one piece nothing was damaged, I read and burn DVD-R DVD-RW disks without any problem(I’ve tried Samsung Pleomax till this time and TDK) but I could’t read any usual CDs or CD-R, CD-RW… :frowning: Drive just don’t see them… it’s seems to me very strange as I would believe that if drive would be nearly dead it would stop reading DVDs first and only later CDs or I’m wrong?
I’ve tried to upgrade my firmware from 1.04 to 3.02 and 3.04(official one and one published by Emperor on this forum) but it does’t bring me any further, disks not reading at all, when I insert some it make some clicking noise trying to read it but fails.
So anyone could know what it could be? (I don’t even try to find out the cure anymore since I’ve tried few new firmwares and seems that they doesn’t help at all.

BTW here is info from NecFlash if there any use for it:

./necflash -scan -v

Binflash - NEC version - © by Herrie and Liggy
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com - http://www.herrie.org

List of supported devices:
Trying to query device /dev/hdc

Device : /dev/hdc
Vendor : _NEC
Model : DVD_RW ND-3520AW
Firmware : 3.04
Trying to query device /dev/hdd
device TEAC CD-W58E 1.0A unsupported

./necflash -querybt -v /dev/hdc

Binflash - NEC version - © by Herrie and Liggy
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com - http://www.herrie.org

Currently no disc is inserted(BTW disk is actually inserted but it’s not visible as you can see)
Permanent booktype for DVD+R is DVD+R
Permanent booktype for DVD+RW is DVD+RW
Permanent booktype for DVD+R-DL is DVD-ROM
You have 500 changes left to change the permanent booktype settings
Your drive uses bitsetting version 2

same problem here
after trying to burn some crappy cd-r

a burn error - and after no cd-reconition, but dvd’s work just fine
(refashing don’t help)

Changed to 3540! Woohooo!!

Enjoy! (change your signature :wink: )

you’re lucky that could change to 3540, as for me I couldn’t use warranty so I’m going to give NEC to my girl and get myself Plextor PX-716A

sensovision.

why didn’t your warranty work? has it expired?

you couldn’t solve the problem then?

get myself Plextor PX-716A

I would avoid 716… learned it the hard way… see sign…
There are so many cheaper and propably better burners out there…!!! :slight_smile:

I’ve got it as a present from other country and it wouldn’t be good thing to send it back and ask for warranty repair :disagree:

I would avoid 716… learned it the hard way… see sign…
There are so many cheaper and propably better burners out there…!!!

sorry about your problem papaki63, for me 716 works pretty well on Linux, although I’m not able to write multisessions DVD for some reason, didn’t have time to check if this problem could be solved.

senso thanks for the reply.

I have the same problems a matrix. I bought mine from newegg a couple in july. Actually its a 3540. It used to work fine on both CDs and DVDs, but now it only works with DVDs. It doesnt read CDs. I would open a new thread, but I think this might me the same problem. What do you think?

I dont have the invoice, without it can i RMA it?

Cleaning the (cd) lense might be an option.
If it doesn’t work then the drive should be replaced.

I dont have the invoice, without it can i RMA it?

sorry about that :frowning:

Cleaning the (cd) lense might be an option.
If it doesn’t work then the drive should be replaced.

I’ve tried this with mine but it doesn’t help… but I guess it’s worth to try if there is no other options, maybe your drive have different malfunction.

but it reads DVDs ok…so i dont think cleaning it will help.

i guess ill just buy another one, fortunately nowadays its just 40bucks for a new one…

I though I was going crazy, at least I’m not the only one experiencing this problem. Like other folks, it would work perfect with DVD’s, but it wouldn’t recognize cd’s at all. I’ll have to look up my receipt and ask for an RMA.

Hi spaceinvaderx! sorry to hear you’ve got into same problem… hopefully you’ll be able to exchange it at no cost.
I wonder how many drives of NEC affected by this bug… maybe they should try to do something about this…

same problem with MSI DVD-ROM

Hi iyehuda! do you know components of which brand they are using?