NEC-ND3520A Inexplicable Issue

vbimport

Sup? Hope y’all can help. I bought a NEC ND-3520A and installed it into my primary PC. It read/wrote ridata ritek dvd+rs without a hitch.

I then decided to pop it into another PC and it worked fine with that one as well. I slaved a hdd on the primary channel with the ND-3520A still intact. This was when the problem manifested. All of a sudden for some strange reason it wasn’t able to read the ridata ritek dvd+rs anymore. It recognizes the fact that there’s a dvd/cd in the drive, but it won’t read it. It always shows 0 bytes for used and free space. I reinstalled it back into the primary PC figurin it would read’em then. Well, I was wrong. The same thing happens.

When there’s no media in the drive, it shows as ‘DVD-RW Drive’. When I insert the dvd+r it switches to ‘CD-Drive’ and the aforementioned happens. It also switches to ‘CD Drive’ when I insert a CD-R, but it’s recognized as such and shows 702 MB used and free. So no issues with CD-Rs.

I uninstalled the secondary channel in device manager and rebooted, in addition to makin sure DMA was enabled. After all that it still wouldn’t read’em.

My hope is startin to wane and I’m limited as far as what else to try is concerned. Does anyone have any ideas what else I can do to try and make it read the dvd+rs like it once did? 'preciate any input, thanx.

Do you have any burning software installed on that PC ???

Thats normal operation for if you insert a blank recordable disc. Or was it a disc that had data recorded on it? If so what format and with what program?

Do you have any burning software installed on that PC ???

Yea, just Alcohol 120%. Should I uninstall Alcohol and then try the whole secondary channel/DMA drill again?

Thats normal operation for if you insert a blank recordable disc. Or was it a disc that had data recorded on it? If so what format and with what program?

It’s normal in that it recognizes there’s a disc in the drive, but it’s not normal for it to read 0 bytes under free space and total size because the disc is in the drive. Plus, I already tried backin somethin up on’em just to make sure. A prompt comes up sayin ‘Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do’? Then there’s an option of ‘retryin’ or ‘cancelin’.

May be you should try to disable the Windows built-in recording feature. It sounds like that make the trouble here. The built-in recording feature does not support DVD recording. You are able to disable this feature in the properties of your drive in My Computer on the recording tab. I hope this will help.

May be you should try to disable the Windows built-in recording feature. It sounds like that make the trouble here. The built-in recording feature does not support DVD recording. You are able to disable this feature in the properties of your drive in My Computer on the recording tab. I hope this will help.

I tried that and still a no go. Thanx for the suggestion, though. Anyone else have any ideas? As odd as this problem may be, I can’t believe that it’s not resolvable.

Aight, I think I might’ve pinpointed the problem.

I popped the drive in another PC with Windows XP Pro Corp Service Pack 2 and it wouldn’t read the dvd+rs just like the other PC, which has the same os. I then tried it on another PC that has the home edition version 2002. The drive read the dvd+rs on that one. So it looks as though SP2 might be the issue. Maybe the win drivers need updatin or perhaps reinstallin’em might do the trick. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue for SP2 or maybe a link to where I can down current/updated drivers? 'preciate it, thanx.

What kind of power supply does that computer have in it? Did you try a different power outlet on the power supply (in otherwords putting the burner on its own set of power cables?). I know it sounds wierd but I’ve seen stranger things with these burners (not just NEC) and power supplies, worth a shot.

hi all,

I thought it was hardware dependent whether DVD-R or DVD+R could/should be used.

In my case I have one Media Center PC which only supports DVD-R (built-in burning as well as other burning software work fine - except for Nero <= v7 which is not supported on Media Center) - the other pc (hardware model) also takes DVD+R –

in above case you are swapping the same hardware (CD/DVD RW drive). Probably it depends on the hardware this drive is connected to, rather than the O.S. that manages it.

anyway, did you resolve your issue? could be useful to me, cos now I’m experienting the same problem as you have with a system that can clone DVDs but cannot use the built-in DVD burning function… (in both cases using same DVD-R, same DVD drive, same PC, same O.S.)

thanks!
harry