NEC ND2500a SIS 651 IDE Problem

vbimport

Hi!

I have a odd problem, If i make a fresh install of Windows XP without any IDE or chipset drivers i can burn DVD+R and CD-R but not DVD-R media (tested four diferent brands of media)

If i install the IDE driver from www.sis.com versio 2.03 or 2.04a
I can burn DVD-R but it takes about 50min to burn at 4x and the Buffer level goes up and down like a yoyo in booth Nero and DVD Decrypter.

I have checked so the drive goes in DMA and not PIO mode.
I also tested to move the drive from secondary master to slave and to Primary slave all with the same result.

I have read about people on the net having almost the same problem but none of them seem to have solved the problem.

I tried the burner in my computer at work with Intel chipset without any trouble!!

Anyone got an idea how to solve this problem??

You have already found the solution!

Do NOT use the SiS IDE drivers, only use the M$ ones included with the operating system.

It’s a common problem that non-M$ IDE drivers sucks. It’s the same problem with Nforce IDE drivers and intel application accelerator IDE drivers as well.

Yes but whith the MS driver i can´t burn DVD-R just DVD+R and +RW

Originally posted by errno
Yes but whith the MS driver i can´t burn DVD-R just DVD+R and +RW

Hmz, now THAT is strange…

What error message do you get?

With the SiS driver - could you write DVD+R/RW at full speed?

Yes with the MS driver i can write DVD+R at full speed but when i use MS driver i can´t write DVD-R at all.

And with the SIS Driver installed i can write DVD-R and DVD+R but its realy slow and the buffer level goes yoyo…

Best regards Jonas

I can burn DVD-R but it takes about 50min to burn at 4x and the Buffer level goes up and down

That is clearly a problem with DMA implementation, or some hardware issue. I question whether it’s specific to the -R media.

If i don´t get it to work soon ill move the Nec ND2500a to a computer with Intel chipset, it seems to be the only way.

You might want to use a small patch called SISIDE.EXE. Unfortunately it is no longer available from the SIS homepage, but I can send it to you by e-mail. I will force the IDE drivers to use DMA instead of PIO.

I’m having this same exact issue. My motherboard has the SIS 651 chipset and cannot burn DVD-Rs or CD-Rs, but DVD+Rs work fine with MS driver. SIS driver works for all, but seems to force the drive into PIO mode which makes burns go at about 1 - 2x. Has anyone found a solution for this? I have an ND-3500A, and Shuttle SS51G. I’ve also tried and had the same issue with a Sony DRU510A so I’m positive it’s the chipset/drivers. Shuttle offers almost zero support, and SiS offers even less. Please help!

Another thing to note is that Windows XP says the drive is using UDMA mode when using the SiS drivers. However, when I perform a burn the cpu utilization goes through the roof just like it does when a drive is in PIO mode. This leads me to doubt that the drive is actually in UDMA mode even though XP & the SiS tool are reporting that it is.

Bump. Also, has anyone tried this drive with an enclosure? I’m wondering if sticking it in an external enclosure would allow me to circumvent the shuttle’s crappy IDE hardware altogether. I’m hesitant to try this though because I’m concerned that the usb connection wouldn’t be able to keep up with the transfer rate of a 16x DVD burn.

I’m concerned that the usb connection wouldn’t be able to keep up with the transfer rate of a 16x DVD burn.

You are correct, it won’t. 12x is possible, but 8x is more likely on USB2.

Has anyone solved this problem? I am having the same issue with my SS51G and NEC 3540A.

I know it doesn’t help you much, but just for the record, my SIS 746FX chipset Athlon CPU m/b only uses MS XP SP2 IDE drivers and it burns all DVD and CD types OK. I’ve never tried installing any SIS IDE drivers. NEC 2510A.