NEC ND2500A shows up on Mac but wont play?

vbimport

My drive went dead in my Imac G4 and I replaced it with the NEC nd2500. The system profiler recognizes it but when I put a movie in the prompt says its empty. Also when a CD is inserted in iTunes it reads all the tracks and gets the albulm right but won’t play any of the songs or burn the songs.

So I’ve researched the different post on this player and know others have gotten this thing to work on Mac. I downloaded the BinFlash for unix and never got the stinking commands to work. I haven’t been able to update the firmware(which it says 1.06)

Also I downloaded a disc burning package from LaCie and that didn’t help.

Does any wise person out there have suggestions?
Thanks

Get another drive and make sure you connect & set it up properly.

Was that supposed to be useful or sarcasm?

[QUOTE=BigEsbay;2538786]Was that supposed to be useful or sarcasm?[/QUOTE]

You diodn’t realize that this is an old and obsolete drive yet ?!? :doh:

I wanted to thank you for your useless comments. The drive is placed in another tower and works fine. I replaced the drive with a Lite On DVDrw SHW 160P6S and it worked fine even without updated drivers or firmware. Still don’t know why the NEC 2500 A didn’t work in the Mac. Never found the driver or firmware for the Mac. Thanks for nothing, experts.

The drive is over 5 years old so who knows if a Mac even has what it needs to recognize it. It was a awesome drive with some ground breaking hacks in it day and did a excellent job of burning to just about any media available at the time, plus it was the first to unofficially support dual layer burning.
I bought one and still have it just becuase it was such a cool little burner but I haven’t hooked it up to anything in probably 3 years or better.
In normal PC I’m not surprised it still works but don’t have a clue how a Mac is setup to recognize a new or old device. I think the last official update for it was in 2006, just be happy you found a drive that works OK in the Mac and that the 2500 even still works at all in your other machine, it’s a classic but I doubt most newer media is even supported as far as burning it goes.

[QUOTE=BigEsbay;2543053]I wanted to thank you for your useless comments. The drive is placed in another tower and works fine. I replaced the drive with a Lite On DVDrw SHW 160P6S and it worked fine even without updated drivers or firmware. Still don’t know why the NEC 2500 A didn’t work in the Mac. Never found the driver or firmware for the Mac. Thanks for nothing, experts.[/QUOTE]

You have no clue, so stop being a smart aleck!