NEC ND2500A or a Pinoneer DVR107?

Hi all,

I didn’t quite know where to post this, so instead of annoying people and cross-posting to the NEC and Pioneer sections, I put it here.

My question is simple (it is?): From what I’ve read (I think), the ND2500A and the DVR107 are pretty close in reviews - which one is the ‘better’ of the two? By this I mean quality wise writing to moderately priced media (not cheap crap) and general performance and reliability.

Also, is there much of a difference between the UK OEM and US OEM versions of these drives?

Thank you if you post a reply, if not have a good day.

Enjoy.

I would probably pick the ND-2500A.

You may wish to wait for my Pioneer DVR-107D review to see why.

I’m hoping to have it uploaded in 2-3 days. (The review is finished but I’m waiting for some comments from pioneer)

Let me quess it has something to do with 8x burning?

With all due respect, I’d like to disagree with OC-Freak. I had the NEC 2500A for a few days before I returned it. I had a bunch of ritek G03 media on hand. NEC 2500A did the most terrible job of burning them as you can imagine. When put it back in NEC to do a CD Speed test, it failed very quickly. My Lite-On combo drive managed to finish the CD Speed test but the CD Speed plot was the worst you can imagine.

Now that I got a Pioneer 107D, I put the same disk in the Pioneer and it reads it beautifully.

Conclusion 1 - Although many people are reporting good burns with Ritek media, chances are high that Ritek won’t work in it. Considering that Ritek is perhaps the largest producer of DVD media, that is a big negative for me until NEC fixes this problem.

Conclusion 2 - Pioneed read DVD media much better than NEC. And this is very important to me.

Just from what I have seen in several forums, Ritek media has been problematic in numerous burners (there’s a reason why it is so inexpensively priced). The question that Zippy81 has pertains to “better” quality media. I use Taiyo Yuden with my 2500A and have had ZERO problems. I am sure that whatever model you decide on will be a good choice. I contemplated buying the Pioneer, but decided on the 2500A. I just think that it is a better buy, at a less expensive price. Hope this helps.

FALBERNI,

I totally disagree with you, you can’t jsut try one media on player A and if it doesn’t work on Player B, then Player B is junk. Come one OC-Freak tries all kinds of media and givs his best opinnion. While you ar giving your opinnion on experience with one type off media. I have both of them and have used Ritek on both with no issues on both;)

I would say go for the Pioneer, but after OC-Freak’s post, I’m waiting to read what his problems are.

Is that new Lite-On 52x32x52 Combo drive to be reviewed anytime soon? I wonder if it is as stable and good as their previous 48x24x48 drive (which I just ordered $45)…

Its simple - NEC = best bang for your buck

I heard it has problems reading scratched disc, but reads and burns to most media fine.

Plextor - cadillac of burners (CD and DvD) = overall good support for everything. The one problem I have found with plextor burners, After owning a highspeed burner for a while, it requires you to drop the speed to illiminate burn errors.

It sounds like the Liteon 812 may be a worthy contender?

The moment booktype setting is possible with 2500A, i’ll buy one. I have an 811s to use as a reader and kprobe anyway. :slight_smile:

… and no one noticed my aparent inability to spell Pioneer in the thread subject - ah the joys of being a n00b! lol! :slight_smile:

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far, you’ve been very informative. I think that I am on the verge of buying the ND2500A, although I am waiting for OC-Freak’s review of the Pioneer to put my mind at rest.

Enjoy.

I would get a NEC 2500A and a DVD-ROM drive for the reading(LiteOn or Asus). It’s nice to have a DVD-ROM anyway for faster reading speeds.

Although I have a good feeling the 812S will be a great burner as well. I think/am hoping LiteOn will support bit setting on it from the start.

I have only ritek’s G04 disks and I have both DVD burners, the pioneer 107d and the nec 2500A.

I’ve never burn successfully a DVD on my nec burner.

There is no problems with the pioneer burner (with the same disks).

I’ll never bye again a nec hardware :a :a

Originally posted by beber75
[B]I have only ritek’s G04 disks and I have both DVD burners, the pioneer 107d and the nec 2500A.

I’ve never burn successfully a DVD on my nec burner.

There is no problems with the pioneer burner (with the same disks).

I’ll never bye again a nec hardware :a :a [/B]

Amazing, because I have plenty of Ritek RiData G04 discs and an NEC 2500A. I have yet to have a bad burn.

I’m not replying as to the goods/bads of the Pioneer drive as I don’t own one, but yes, some people have issues with the NEC and Ritek media. Many more do not. And for those that have had an issue, using other media IS an option.

DVD recording is just becoming mainstream (I would say that most of us are the forefront and that many of our families/friends still don’t own DVD writers). To say that a drive is horrible because it won’t write to ONE brand of discs is overgeneralizing. Especially considering that the quality of Ritek media is considered by many to be uneven from lot to lot.

Originally posted by LoneWolf15
Amazing, because I have plenty of Ritek RiData G04 discs and an NEC 2500A. I have yet to have a bad burn

Could you please mail me your nec bios at beber75@yahoo.com, i’ll try it with my set of disks.

I’ve tried the original bios, the RPC1 one and even the TDK880N version without success.

The burning is going flawlessly and when i insert back into my nec the disk he burned, he couldn’t read it.

PS: Sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language

Originally posted by beber75
[B]Could you please mail me your nec bios at beber75@yahoo.com, i’ll try it with my set of disks.

I’ve tried the original bios, the RPC1 one and even the TDK880N version without success.

The burning is going flawlessly and when i insert back into my nec the disk he burned, he couldn’t read it.

PS: Sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language [/B]

If someone can tell me a good program I can use to extract the BIOS, I’ll gladly do so. I’m using the original 1.06 (non-hacked) BIOS that came with the drive, as I use a different drive for ripping.

P.S. I only do the writing on the NEC drive, I’ve never bothered to do any reading, as I have a separate DVD-ROM, and DVD player. I’ll double check on how it reads discs it wrote, but other readers have no issues with discs I’ve burned.

UPDATE: Just got home and tested one of my burned Ritek discs in the NEC instead of my LiteOn. When I skipped a chapter, PowerDVD reported 1x for a brief moment, but at all times the NEC read the disc. This is by no means an exhaustive test, but so far, my results have been as good as it gets.

You could find this tool here:

http://www.herrie.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=178#dl

make a bootable floppy disk and then put the executable on it

execute it and it will show you the help screen like this:

NEC ND2x00A Flash Toolkit, Ver 1.00
Coded by the Dangerous Brothers, Vlad & Igor

Usage : NEC2x00A [-pri] [-sec] [-ter] [-qua] [-mas] [-sla]
[-out <file>] [-flash <file>] [-id]

-pri            Primary Controller
            -sec            Secondary Controller
            -ter            Ternary Controller
            -qua            Quaternary Controller
            -mas            Master Drive
            -sla            Slave Drive
            -out file       Specify backup file for current rom
            -flash file     Specify flash file to upload and burn

nec2x00a -sec -mas -out oldrom.bin -id
    nec2x00a -sec -mas -out nec_105.bin -flash dell103d.bin

Warning - This program is intended for use with the NEC ND2x00A or the OEM
equivalent drives. Use with caution as a failure could render your drive
unusable.

use the proper command to extract the bios onto the disk that’s all

go for 107d

a comment here about NEC 2500a and Ritek G04 media. I am attaching a Kprobe pic of a 4.3gb movie burn. I made the .iso with ImgTool and then burned the disk with DVDecryptor. The write strat analysis is quite bad, and i was wondering if this was the norm w/this media?

Note, I am using a lower firmware version in the LiteOn 411s b/c it is not my drive–so i am not sure how it will affect the results.