Nec Nd-6500a

vbimport

Help!

I have just got a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop (Amilo) which comes with a NEC ND-6500A with firmware version 2.40.

However i can not get it to burn on a dual layer disc at all. I have tried datawrite and also traxdata (Ritek) discs.
Both show up in nero and dvd decrypter disc info but fail when burning anything to them. Nero says Invalid Media or illegal Media.
Decrypter gives me I/O error - Device: 1:0:0 _NEC DVD±R/W ND-6500A 2.40 (D:) (ATA)
ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation Check Condition
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
Interpretation Write (10) - Sectors 0-31
Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

I dont know if the drive is faulty or if its the laptop or the firmware.
The laptop box says the drive supports DL discs but i can not burn to one at all.
I did notice that i think nero always tries to choose booktype DVD-ROM whatever that means.

I am loosing the battle now…

Had the same problem on my Dell with NEC ND-6500A. Does not support Ritek (yet) Verbatimm DL media works fine.

I have now resolved the problem by upgrading the firmware of the drive.
This firmware is not listed on the NEC website, however i found a version that was the latest NEC that supports all media. There is also a firmware to make it region free as well.

Now works with even budget 18p dvd-r discs… and any make of DL… Fantastic

Where did you find that version? I have not been able to locate any through NEC or otherwise. I currently am running 202C.

im not sure what 202C version is.
I got mine here http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND6500A
2.22 and 2.23 worked for me in windows

202c seems to be the frimware viersion my nd-6500a shipped with (came with my Dell 9200 laptop)