NEC ND-6500A firmware question

I have a question reguarding upgrading the firmware of a recently purchased NEC ND-6500A which I installed in My Sony laptop. I have searched this and other formums for the answer but have not seen a definate one. I’m new to this type of issue so please excuse my ignorance.

The drive has FW version 202C, which after reading the forms is a Dell OEM firmware. I wish to upgrade to the latest firmware and was wondering if I have to upgrade to only the Dell OEM (203e) or can I use Binflash to upgrade to the newer NEC firmware. I see from Liggy’s website that 2.81 is the latest. Also, do I flash directly to 2.81/203e or do I need to flash other versions first.

I’m having trouble burning 16X DVD -R Sony discs, which I see in other forum threads does not seem to be supported media. It will burn to TDK DVD +R media. If I flash the FW will this solve my buring to DVD -R media?

While the version number 2.81 appears to be higher, it’s actually almost 2 years older. The latest firmware for your drive is 2.25

You can directly flash your favorite firmware with Binflash. No need to flash other firmwares first.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the firmware information on your website, it was very helpful.

and what about:
Liggy’s 6500 Bitsetting firmware 2.25

is this better than the Original NEC 6500 firmware 2.25 or what is the difference between these 2? (I’m kinda noobish to this like rcalvin :-s)

hello,
i downloaded the latest firmware in .zip format from http://www.de.nec.de./softwareoverview2.php/id/1333
but when i started the file named NECND65_V225.exe it says that the drive NEC ND-6500A cannot be found! please help

What firmware version does your drive currently have?

I have no idea what firmware version does it have? How do I check it?

[QUOTE=axenic;1955823]I have no idea what firmware version does it have? How do I check it?[/QUOTE]

Have you got a Nero InfoTool? You can directly see the firmware version after you run it.

hello, I have the same problem like axenic. My current firmware is 2.81 and when I try to run NEC 2.25 upgrade I got message ND 6500A is not found correctly. Please help me, I cannot burn almost no DVD brands. Thank you!

[QUOTE=lee27;2171265]hello, I have the same problem like axenic. My current firmware is 2.81 and when I try to run NEC 2.25 upgrade I got message ND 6500A is not found correctly. Please help me, I cannot burn almost no DVD brands. Thank you![/QUOTE]

And WHO told you to flash that wrong firmware??

bitsetting doesnt matter anymore correct? almost everything plays dvd Rs

or is there another purpose?