Nec Nd-5170

I could’nt find any information about this drive at Cdfreaks.
It is available where I usually buy my drives here but i would like to know more about it as I plan to buy my first Nec ever. I just sold my oldy 1693S and my case feels so empty with just … 4 drives in it.
Any one owns it here?

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/5170/

These are probably identical to the 7170 series but without the DVD-RAM support. They probably burn the same as the 7170 series, so read the reviews on those to see what they burn well and what they don’t.

They just figured out how to dump the firmwares on these new Optiarc drives, so hacked firmwares and flashers are eminent. :clap:

the Nd-5170 support DVDRam. So maybe there is a difference between the nd-5170 and the ad-5170???

From the description, it looks like the difference is DVD-RAM support at 5x versus 12x.

Although I’m not sure who is right (Liggy&Dee or that website) with respect to the other disc type writing speeds. It lists slower DVD-R DL @6x but L&D list @8x.

DVD+R: 18x, DVD-R: 18x

• DVD+R DL: 8x, DVD-R DL: 6x
  • DVD+RW: 8x, DVD-RW: 6x
  • DVD-ROM Read: 16x
  • CD-R Write: 48x
  • CD-RW Write 32x
  • CD Read: 48x
  • Access time: 160ms
  • Buffer Size: 2MB
    NEC AD5170 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter:no ram supprt unlike the
    nd5170>DVD-RAM (5x);

The site also says:

• (-RW): 8X
  • Labelflash
    I find it really cheap for 37€.
    I am going for it and I will post as soon as I receive it.

did you buy in the end bichonn? I’m considering getting one.

i just got this model (Nec Nd-5170A) . firmware is 1.1. are there any other firmwares available for this model? i checked the sticky but there is no mention of this model there? why? is it not a good model?