NEC ND-3550-A door will not open

Hello,

I just received an NEC ND-3550-A DVD burner.
After inserting a DVD or CD, the drive will not respond to presses of the open button.
The contents of the drive can be seen in an explorer window, and files or DVD movies can be played, but the drive just won’t open anymore after the first CD/DVD has been inserted (until I power down).

I am about to send it back, but I just wanted to check to see if this is a known/common issue. And if there is a simple fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

I think this is a problem initiated from one of the installed/running tools on you system.

It cannot open when nothing is running.

This is what happens:

1. Turn on system
  2. Insert CD/DVD
  3. Close
  4. Attempt to open
  5. Nothing

:frowning:

Hm, could you try it in SAFE MODE and maybe also DOS?

I’ll try that when I get home from work.

The drive works fine when there is no CD/DVD in it, but once one is placed in it, it will not open anymore.

how about boot into the bios (f2,f1,del ect) and try it? it will open and close. similarly if you use a bootable OS (knoppix ect) it will work. he is saying that you have INCD, Direct CD or what ever it is called now, sonic DLA or something like that which is locking the drive.

firgure it out or format

I don’t have any of those applications.
INCD, Direct CD, sonic DLA.
I don’t even know what they are.

They are Packet-Writing Software which is known for creating trouble.

What about SAFE MODE and under DOS?

I am currently in SAFE MODE.
The drive is behaving correctly in safe mode.

I am baffled.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I’m back in normal mode, and the door seems to opening just fine :confused: :confused: :confused:

When I had the initial problem, I was trying to open the door using the “Eject” command on the right-mouse click sub-menu in explorer, as well as the button. Perhaps, the eject command was messing with the drives brains.

This time I have not used the eject command. I have just been using the button.

It seems to be working now so I will leave it be.
I will follow up if I notice the problem again.

&#^#^ Great !

It’s happening again.

This is frustrating.

you have software which is causing the issue plain and simple. something is locking the drive.

it may even be something like nero scout (if you have nero 7) but some software is the root of your issue