NEC ND-3500AG with Mac OS X 10.3.6 problems

Hi guys… I’ve been reading through a number of threads on here, and some come close to describing my problem but none pose a solution.

I bought this drive from LaCie in a USB2 enclosure, and plugged into my iBook G4. For the first day or so it seemed to burn OK now it does all sorts of weird things.

Primarily, when burning from Roxio Toast 6.0.5, the burn gets approximately halfway through, the green light on the front of the drive goes out, and Toast hangs. I click abort to try and abort the burn and Toast does nothing. I can’t even force quit the application… the only way to return my otherwise stable setup to normal is to hard-power-off (ie, holding the power switch till it just dies) and starting again.

On top of this, the external dvdrw drive won’t eject the disc most of the time. I’ve tried burning all kinds of data (dvd-r movies, data backups) and they all seem to have the same issue.

I’ve tried different firmwares from the TDB.rpc1.org site, and they don’t seem to make any difference.

Curiously, the drive seems to be working OK from a Windows machine… but the Mac just doesn’t like it and I can’t figure out why.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

… does noone have any suggestions? :frowning:

Okay, I’m having almost the same issues I have read on here and elsewhere. It is very annoying. I’m thinking it has to do with the Patchburn 3 driver, although I’m not really sure. Its interesting that you note that many different versions of the firmware did not seem to fix the problem because I was thinking that that might be what I needed to do.

I have the same kind of symptoms: drive will just seemingly “die” until hard restart, and the drive will just hang. Toast just sits and does nothing can’t crash, have to do a hard restart. Can’t eject etc, I luckily haven’t had it die in the middle of a burn (thankfully) but I tried doing a simulation once too and it froze when I aborted mid-simulation. I might try and e-mail the PB3 writer and see if he has any suggestions/updates.