NEC ND-3500AG Unit Life Span MTBF POH etc

vbimport

I was curious to find out these specs for the NEC drive the MTBF, and POH. I did a search and nothing came up, I read the data sheet on NEC.com but nothing. I got curious when I thought to myself… Is it bad to leave my PC on the whole month, I usually go weeks without turning it off only rebooting it when installing firmware or a software update. Does anyone know if under these conditions it would affect the NEC ND-3500 drive’s life span. Also what is the known number of DVD writes before a drive usually just gives out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

In general, 60.000 to 70.000 POH for DVDRW´s… :wink:

No need to worry about this for the next 7-8 years if your compu runs 24/7. :cool:

Thanks for the info pinto2, that’s good to know won’t need to worry I’ll have a newer drive by that time. :cool:

I don’t think a MTBF would really make sense in a DVD burner context. It’s not doing anything unless I tell it to read a disk or write to a disk.

I could have it on for 10 years and never tell it to burn a disk or read a disk. So if you want to have a meaningful MTBF, you have to define some statistics for how often people use their DVD drive. Where do you get those from? If you’re too conservative, people will accuse you of trying to pad the statistics. If you are too liberal, then your drive looks bad.

So in my mind, MTBF doesn’t make sense for a DVD drive.

I think the main things you have to consider turning it off for are mechanical like your CPU fan (unless it’s only a heatsink), your case fans, your power supply fan(s), and your hard drives. All of those are mechanical parts that will wear out and are in constant use.

Having said that, I never turn my computers off. Once I bother setting up software suspend, I might consider it for everything but my core servers.

Originally Posted by nec3500question
I think the main things you have to consider turning it off for are mechanical like your CPU fan (unless it’s only a heatsink), your case fans, your power supply fan(s), and your hard drives. All of those are mechanical parts that will wear out and are in constant use.
Yeah makes sense since the drive isn’t spinning or doing anything unlike the fans which are ON the whole day, btw I got to take a look at those fans they are getting louder and are making weird noises, I think they are about ready to give out got to replace those. ThanX for the info. :wink: