NEC ND-3500A Speed Question

vbimport

I have a NEC ND-3500A drive, and it takes about forty minutes to rip a DVD-Video CD to the hard drive. It never goes above 2X, and I have tried all of the firmware. I installed Liggy’s, the Mad Dog firmware, and anything else I could find on here to no avail. I am also operating in DMA Mode and have tried many different pieces of software including using Nero’s drive speed, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and many others. I thought that the riplock free firmware was supposed to remedy this problem, but I have not been able to find any sort of remedy yet. Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

By the way, my system specs are as follows:
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard
1GB OCZ PC3200 RAM (CL2)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Western Digital 80GB Special Edition PATA 8MB Cache
Western Digital 120GB Special Edition PATA 8MB Cache
NEC ND-3500A (On the second IDE bus alone.)

Edit:

The DVDs I am trying to rip are pressed DVD movies that have surfaces in mint condition.

-JncoDragon

Are you sure that ALL your drives are in DMA?

Yes, I am sure they are all in DMA. The settings in the hardware manager all say DMA if Available. I used to have the problem all of the time in Win2K when I would reinstall, so I always check for it.

-JncoDragon

If you can’t see 3X or faster with DL DVDs, then you may not properly flashed the riplock firmware. Use the 218btrpc1 firmware. Download HDTUNE and post the transfer graphs of both hard drives. Remove the secondary IDE controller from Device Manager. Reboot into the BIOS and verify that the BIOS detects the NEC. Set the detection to AUTO. Reboot and windows will reload the appropriate drivers. Verify that the NEC is running in DMA mode 2.

Now rerun Nero DVD Speed test with AnyDVD running in the background and a DL DVD disc in the NEC drive. Read rate should start around 3.1X. Maximum speed is around 7.3X.

Also make sure your hard drive is fully fragmented, if so first defrag your hard drive reboot the system and try again.