NEC ND-3500A 2.16 firmware from 20040913

I just got new ND-3500A and my firmware seems to be updated on September 13, 2004. I dumped it and inside is text:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG2.162004091300
_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG2.1604072300
K310K3502004091300
$$$$66662004091300

Label says: Manufactured September 2004

DVDInfo Pro Says 04072300 but I am sure something is updated on 0913 since its brand new drive and its very possible DVD Info Pro just takes second string as ‘extra info’. Additionally, there are a lot of binary differences compared to the 0728 one. If you check versions of different strategies on other firmwares, we can say this one is like a hybrid between 2.x6 and 2.x7. Weird… :slight_smile:

2500dump ND3500A-216-20040913.bin

CD-R version: 1.23
CD-RW version: 1.24
DVD-R version: 1.37
DVD-RW version: 1.33
DVD+R version: 1.51
DVD+RW version: 1.37
DVD+R9 version: 1.19o (yes, with “o”)

So question is, why not all strategies are updated since first 2.16 and why some in 2.07 are even older, DVD-RW for example. Uploaded here

Thanks Liggy, for hosting the file! :slight_smile:

Hi!

NEC seem to release lots of versions from 2.16 with their writers. My 2.16 backup is dated 24.08.2004. The only difference to yours is, that -RW has only 1.30, all other strats are the same.

Legnerp

The latest 2.16 firmware I know is from 30.08.2004;

CD-R version: 1.23
CD-RW version: 1.24
DVD-R version: 1.37
DVD-RW version: 1.30
DVD+R version: 1.51
DVD+RW version: 1.37
DVD+R9 version: 1.19o (yes, with “o”)

Here also the -RW has 1.30, all other strats are the same.

Yes … same FW2.16 but with different strategies :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is rather messy and confusing … why on earth didn’t they just give it a different number, or at least call it 2.16a, 2.16b or something like that …

Their numbering system was confusing enough already, even without having to deal with different builds (versions) of the same FW :confused: :Z

Those NEC people must have a perverse pleasure in confusing the users :wink:

Yes its funny, they update firmwares in factory but only once a while on update page. Would be nice if NEC updated them more often. Right now I am not sure if 2.x7 firmware would be better for me if it comes from other drives like TDK and then modified to remove riplock and such. But so far all recordings are good and quality wise there is no need to update but riplock removed and RPC1 would be nice to have anyway.

Hi!

Removing riplock and making the drive regionfree doesn’t affect the writing quality. There are only a few bits changed far away from the strategies… :wink:

If you want to, I can do it with your firmware.

Legnerp

YES, I want that! :slight_smile: I didnt flash it with available firmwares since they all are based on older strats so I am looking for some info what is needed to implement riplock and RPC with my firmware. I even compiled H8 disassembler found on rpc1.org, but I still need to know what to change and how to recalculate CRC if its needed. If you can help me, I would really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

One more question… If something goes wrong, is it possible to flash back working firmware like with LiteON drives, under DOS?

Hi!

Sorry, I don’t own enough knowledge to help you. All I do is to compare existing firmwares with their hacked ones and change the same things. Then calculate the checksum and voila…
You need to ask Herrie, Liggy and The Dangerous Brothers for more information!

I’ve done the changes with your firmware, download it here. Please use “right click” and “save as…”!

The archive also contains the Maddog booktype utility and Binflash 1.02, it works for me so far. If something goes wrong you can always use TDBs flasher in real DOS to flash back to the original firmware, so don’t worry to try this one out.

Legnerp

Super! Any help is greatly appreciated. How do you recalculate checksums?

I already awaited this question. The “knowing” people here said, that it would’t be very good to talk about that in the public, because then too many people would try it and possibly make changes that would destroy their writers. So I’m not allowed to tell it here… :stuck_out_tongue: