NEC ND-3450A - Specs? FW?

You must use Nero 6 for new DVD burners (6.6.0.1 ‘reloaded’ is the last version).

That doesn’t explain why the included dell burning software can’t see it as a burner too unless Dell failed to test with this burner.

Ask it to Dell support… maybe they have a patch.

Call Dell and tell them the software you got doesn’t support your burner. Maybe they will send you Nero 6.6.0.1.

Dell support is a waste of time. A year before, when I got my notebook computer, I spent over an hour on the phone with an “outsourced” support person who ran me through all kinds of diagnostics tests before concluding that the mousepad was indeed defective (as I originally called to complain about). He then told me that before he could schedule a service call, I had to reinstall the OS and all the Dell utilities.

They don’t even list this drive on their website. I submitted a problem report through their support site but have not heard back in 48 hours.

If nero 6 fixes the problem, I’ll be satisfied. I’ll download the trial version and see if it works.

I’ve had much better experiences with Dell support, even using the general call in(We are a Premier account, and usually use the special number). Wait to talk to someone on the general line is usually the killer, but I’ve had good support from them once I have someone on the phone.

Anyhow, I have burned with this drive using Nero with no problems. If you wait a little while, I am sure Liggy’s next version of Binflash will support this drive and it should take any of the 3500 firmwares after this based on what Liggy reported in the firmware section(right Liggy?)

What is the dell supplied burning software? RecordNow? What version? What error are you getting?

Akamatsu

We also have a premiere account. I didn’t realize they had a different support #. Maybe I’ll try that.

Anyhow, I have burned with this drive using Nero with no problems. If you wait a little while, I am sure Liggy’s next version of Binflash will support this drive and it should take any of the 3500 firmwares after this based on what Liggy reported in the firmware section(right Liggy?)

What version of nero?

I have version 5.5. I downloaded the trial version of 6.6 and it told me my trial had expired. I guess my trial period started during installation and ended before I ran it for the first time.

What is the dell supplied burning software? RecordNow? What version? What error are you getting?

Yes, RecordNow. No error. It just says that it can’t find any recordable drives. Apparently it doesn’t check (aspi) firewire either since I have a Pioneer 107 burner too. Nero 5.5 sees the Pioneer but not the IDE Nec burner.

Oh well…

Akamatsu[/QUOTE]

I already implemented support for the 3450 in my flasher, I just need to get home and compile the sourcecode. New version will probably arrive this evening or tomorrow

Cool! What version should I flash it to?

In the BinFlash on your signature?

Where else? :wink:

[/QUOTE]

Uninstall Nero 5.5 & Nero 6 & restart your computer.
Then run : ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/General-CleanTool.zip
a general cleaner from nero.

You should be able to reinstall Nero 6 with a 15 days trial period.

Well - Problem seems to be solved. I went ahead and upgraded to Nero 6.6 (from 5.56) and nero 6 sees the burner and apparently supports DL too on it (though I don’t have any blank DL media to test). I’m running a test burn right now and will report back in a little while with the results.

================================================

Followup - Successfully burned a DVD at 8x. Interestingly enough, the verbatim disc box says UP TO 12X but if you look closer it says (with certain applications). The disc itself is labeled 8x. Any idea how to get nero to burn it at 12X?

Now I need to find some cheap DL media that’ll work with this drive.

For 12x writing, the firmware also has to support it. If you can’t select it in Nero, it’s unavailable. But I think you could flash a speedhacked 3500 firmware in your drive and have 12x support. However, I don’t know if a 3500 firmware works flawlessly in a 3450 drive. Maybe someone else can answer on this. If it works, you get many additional benefits, though.

Thanks for the info Squirrel. I guess I’ll stick with the 3450 firmware for now unless the addl benefits are HUGE.

I tried using the new 1.03 binflash on a 3450a and binflash did not recognize the drive.

Anyone else successful in getting it to work?

I think my friend has one of these drives in his new Dell. What firmware do I use on it to make it RPC1 and remove riplock etc? Has anyone successfully flashed one with Liggy’s 1.03 WinGUI?

I’ll try it today, and report back my results. I am going to attempt to put a 3500 firmware on it. Most Likely LD_V1.

Welcome SealSlayer

Strange… :confused: I have latest Binflash (Win32) dated 5/12/2004 14:34:02 and NEC 3450 is listed as supported.

Download a new copy of binflash and try again. :wink:

@ Akamatsu. Good luck. :cool:

When I run the binflash utility, the “No supported devices found.” dialog is displayed. If I try to manually scan, I get the same dialog. I’ve tried the windows and command line version with no different results. Here are the details of the windows gui version that I’m using:

Binflash - NEC GUI version - © by Herrie, Liggy and r-man
http://binflash.cdfreaks.com - http://www.herrie.org

GUI version v1.03
Drive interface v1.00
NEC interface v1.03
NEC internal v1.01

The file I was using is dated 5-dec, so I think I have the same one.