NEC ND-2500A question!

I was about to order one of these until I read cdfreaks review, one thing really threw me off. In the conclusion under negatives it says “Does not support reading/writing discs larger than 90 minutes.” What does this mean, I primally want this drive to back up my dvds.

Was speaking of Audio CD’s with more then 90 minutes of audio (over burnt). Not usually a huge concern except to the over burning (CD) enthusiast.

Has no effect on backing up your DVD’s.

unless u actually plan on buying extended capacity cds (beyond the normal 80 min; up to 99 min), this won’t affect u at all.

No like I said I just plan to burn my DVDs. I have another question though, how does burning DVDs work? I mean I know one way is to rip to HDD and then burn from there to your DVD. What DVD to DVD? Would it work just like the CDROMS (from CDROM to CDRW) or is it only DVD to HDD to DVD. If so how long does the whole process take at 4X. Thank you.

Burning at 4x should take something around 15min.

Ripping the DVD to hdd and transcoding it if needed is another story. That would take some time also depending on the reader the software and hardware used.

One last question about the review. It is said “Reading of DVD-Video discs are locked to 5x CAV” does that mean ripping a DVD to HDD will be a lot slower then other drives which are like 10x? Or is this about something else?

Thank you.

Originally posted by GamerAXS
[B]One last question about the review. It is said “Reading of DVD-Video discs are locked to 5x CAV” does that mean ripping a DVD to HDD will be a lot slower then other drives which are like 10x? Or is this about something else?

Thank you. [/B]
Yep that’s what it means. It would generally be wiser using a DVD drive to rip the movie to the hard drive and not the DVD recorder drive, as most of them are generally slower for one reason or another.

I am ordering NEC 16X DVD ROM, Model DV-5800C/MXL, please let me know ASAP if it isnt good so I can cancel it. From what I saw they are all pretty much the same?

i’d go for the lite-on 166S

Originally posted by AZImmortal
i’d go for the lite-on 166S

Then I will to, ordered :smiley:

yes, now i’ve tricked another sucker into buying a horrible drive! MUAHAHAHAHA!

j/k :bigsmile:

/me loves his 166S.

Hi,
I hope I’m not repeating the earlier questions, but I’d like some adivce ref. the NEC 2500a and cd-r audio burning please :bow:
I want to create some audio cds about 85 to 90 minutes long.
I have some standard 80 minute cd-r’s but am not keen on overburning them on this new drive, as I’ve heard overburning can make coasters and also damage the drive.
A local retailer stocks 99 minute rated cd-r’s. I’m sure I read somewhere that the NEC 2500a will only go to 90 minutes max, which is fine for me. Using these longer rated media, is burning a 85 to 90 minute audio cd still classed as overburning?
I guess I’m really just trying to check I’m not gonna frtiz my new drive!
I’ve an old CyberDrive CW038D cd writer that I could use. It is currently in storage.
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you:)
Foln

(As a small aside, would you recommend having a second optical drive as a DVD reader or a CD writer? From what I’ve read there is little DVD to DVD ‘at once’ copying possible anyway so maybe I’d be better off putting the CyberDrive in anyway (I have 3 drive bays but am worried about adding another drive to my 300W PSU!!) Cheers!)

System:
Windows XP
Athlon 1400
ECS K7S5A
512 ram
NEC 2500a
Liteon 163D (that keeps getting stuck on PIO mode 4!)
Compaq 300W PSU