NEC ND-2500A and HDD LED

vbimport

I'm running an NEC ND-2500A connected to the secondary IDE channel on my Asus A7V133 (VIA KT133A chipset) motherboard.

The HDD access LED turns on whenever the access LED in the burner turns on. I guess this is a 'feature' of the nec writer and/or its firmware.

Anyone else with this drive seeing the same behavior? Any suggestions how to prevent the nec from triggering the HDD LED (aside from cutting a certain ide activity wire in the ide cable) ?

the HDD LED only indicates traffic on the IDE bus. Doesn’t need to be a HDD to create traffic.

Thanks.

I know the HDD Led indicates IDE activity in general, but still its rather unusual that a dvd writer exhibits this behaviour.

My PC is standing right next to my Monitor and its quite annoying having to look at two LEDs (HDD LED and DVD LED) flashing simultaneously while watching a movie.

Any ideas ?

Originally posted by superxmarty
[B]Thanks.

I know the HDD Led indicates IDE activity in general, but still its rather unusual that a dvd writer exhibits this behaviour.

My PC is standing right next to my Monitor and its quite annoying having to look at two LEDs (HDD LED and DVD LED) flashing simultaneously while watching a movie.

Any ideas ? [/B]

This isn’t really unusual… most mainboards do this…

Hmmm this would require some “creative engineering” to accomplish. You can do a few things:

• put a switch on the IDE LED so you can turn it off when you want
  • connect the DVD drive to a PCI IDE card or RAID controller (capable of controlling ATAPI devices in DMA mode) instead of the onboard IDE controller
  • pull out the LED cable or put some tape on it… :wink:

Thanks Dee-ehn.

I wasn´t aware that this is a common behaviour (issue?!).

On the other hand my old Ricoh CD-Writer didn´t trigger the IDE/HDD LED. Would Plextor or Pioneer DVD Writers do the same, or is this somehow NEC specific ?

I`m going to try connecting the NEC to the Promise Ultra ATA 100/RAID controller (onboard too), but doubt it will solve the problem. (right now my IDE cable is too short).

I´d really like being able to monitor HDD activity all the time. Therefore pulling the LED plug etc. just seems to be a final option.

Although I intended to avoid “creative engineering”: did anybody try to cut the wire connected to IDE Pin 39, which is supposed to solely transmit an ide activity signal ?

to be more precise about pin 39:

quote from a different forum:

“The HDD LED is a reflection of pin 39 in the IDE interface (a pin called DASP - Drive Active / Slave Present - it’s a time multiplexed signal).
I think it’s grounded on pretty much every single CD drive (or at least not used to display drive activity). I’ve never heard of a case where it has been used to display CDROM activity at least.”

What do you think ?

i think: as long as you have a spare ide-cable :stuck_out_tongue:

i think: probably I’d need a dozen.
Never tried this before.

heya, did you try this ? i think of this mod too, but i heard, that might only work with hdds und not with cd/dvd drives ?

easily fixed

cut bit of black insulation tape
stick over offending LEDs

My Sony 500a does the same thing so it’s probably just something about the way these two are built and comunicate with the IDE bus. All of my other optical drives don’t do this but I don’t think it’s anything to get upset about as long as everything works it’s just a FEATURE of that particular drive.