NEC ND-2500, updatable to DVD-9?

vbimport

Hi!

I just got myself a Nec ND-2500A and am very pleased. :wink:

I’ve read some news about the new DVD-9 recordables and recorders and the Maintec (Maintek?) chipset. 8x burners with those chipsets would be able to do DVD-9 with a firmware update…

Anyone know what chipset the ND-2500 uses? Can it be updated to DVD-9 by firmware? That would be very nice. :smiley:

Robert =8- )

Probably not.

It would make no financial sense for any optical drive company to do that.
Perhaps when the drives first start coming out a enthusiast within the PC community may be able to develop it themselves but again, I doubt it.

I’ll just hope like everyone else that I am wrong.

No I don’t think this drive will get dual layer support.

It uses a NEC chipset.

The chipset you think of is probably the mediatek chipset used by Lite-On and BTC drives.

(Yes there is rumours (maybe started by me ;):p) that the SOHW-812S hardware is capable of dual layer 2.4x DVD+R by overclocking - no it will never be any official firmware upgrade for this).

Originally posted by OC-Freak
(Yes there is rumours (maybe started by me ;):p) that the SOHW-812S hardware is capable of dual layer 2.4x DVD+R by overclocking - no it will never be any official firmware upgrade for this).

That’s exciting news!!! :bigsmile:

I understood that the NEC2500A being one of the newer drives could possibly be updated to burn dual layer.

If the pioneer A06/7 has been tested with a firmware update, (and it works) then is it physically possible that the NEC2500A can be modified either officially or unofficially with a firmware patch ???

I really hope so !:smiley:

Any information on this would be interesting (I contacted NEC and they would not comment on anything. Other than no plans yet)