NEC ND-1300A problems writing to Media

I’ve just purchashed an NEC ND-1300A along with some Datawrite classic ‘red top’ media. I have tried every dvd recording program under the sun but none of them seem to write to the media.

I take it its because the media were cheap and nasty.

I have just put an order in for some ‘Ritek’ media, as it states on the NEC website that these have been tested on this model of writer.

Can anyone confirm that Ritek media will work in the NEC ND-1300A.

Thanks in advance.

Media compatibility is a known problem of the NEC 1300A:

This is your options:

-Get better media.

-If you have the retail drive with firmware 1.05, here is a new 1.06 firmware: 1.06 for retail with 1.05 firmware

-Or get the unofficial firmware with updated media support and regionfreedom here: http://herrie.rpc1.org

I used Ritek +R media on my NEC1300 without a problem. Small note: the writer only allows me to write those discs @ 2.4x

I also seem to be having problems w/ the NEC ND-1300A, although I’m not sure if it is a media incompatibility problem. I’m just trying to burn a Memorex 1x DVD-RW. I used numerous programs to burn a SINGLE file of arbitrary size (< 1 MB). However, I keep getting the same result. When I used Nero 5.5.10.35 to burn this DVD ISO, at the burning process, I get an error. When I checked the error log, here is the couple of lines prior to the error:

3:35:14 PM #26 Phase 133 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1655
Writing short lead-out

3:36:03 PM #27 CDR -1093 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1468
No seek complete

3:36:03 PM #28 TRANSFER -24 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1468
Could not perform end of Disc-At-Once

When I try to erase the DVD-RW with Nero, after it tries to erase it, I end up with the error message “Program Memory Area Update Failure”. The disc can no longer be read or erased ever again.

I then tried to use DVDInfo and checked the media, it registers as a blank DVD-RW and I can erase and format the DVD-RW perfectly with it. But when I use RecordNow MAX and look at its info wtih Disc Explorer and Disc Properties, it displays the starting track with a negative starting time, I’ve attached a screenshot of the info.

I thought maybe it was just this DVD-RW that was screwed up, so I opened another DVD-RW of the same brand and it came up with same results. So perhaps it was a defective 3 pack of DVD-RW. So I went to futureshop and bought a new pack of the exact same DVD-RW’s. The results was no different. I need help!! :a

@N0k1a: what firmware are you running? I just upgraded (downgraded?) my 1300a from retail firmware 1.07 to Herrie’s 1.05v11 firmware, and this works like a charm. I didn’t test any DVD-RW (as I don’t have any), but I noticed a change in support for cheap DVD-R media (Added support for ProdiscG01/G02 etc).

So, my advicec: try this firmware and see what happens…

I’m using 1l07 from http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/index.html. Actually this problem is inherent before and after the firmware update

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]@N0k1a: what firmware are you running? I just upgraded (downgraded?) my 1300a from retail firmware 1.07 to Herrie’s 1.05v11 firmware, and this works like a charm. I didn’t test any DVD-RW (as I don’t have any), but I noticed a change in support for cheap DVD-R media (Added support for ProdiscG01/G02 etc).

So, my advicec: try this firmware and see what happens… [/B]

greetings dee-ehn, so you know where to get this nice firmware actually?

vbgd

Originally posted by vbgd
[B]greetings dee-ehn, so you know where to get this nice firmware actually?

vbgd [/B]

The Firmware Page.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=17545

Originally posted by Kenshin
[B]The Firmware Page.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=17545 [/B]

THX!

Greetings

vbgd

I have also upgraded my firmware on my nec1300A to 1.07 and have problems with datawrite red label dvd-r 4x.

When I used clonedvd I got an error message stating that it failed to write because of bad media. Got an error using nero also.

When I used dvdinfotool on datawrite it stated that they were princo, so I think it is not an coincidence that both these medias didn’t work with firmware 1.05. And it also seems that nec haven’t managed to solve the problem with the new firmware.

I hope the quality brands like verbatim will be cheaper soon.

Lugmeister

@Lugmeister: you really should try Herrie’s 1.07v3 firmware, as it workst really great, also on Princo media…

You can download the firmware here

Well I checked a Disc that nero said was burned successfully, but it was only burned about 50% and it seems that there are some errors (white “spots”) on some of them. They are not on the surface but in the layer beneath it because i tried to clean them and they are not removable. Seems that they have been careless during the production process.

Lugmeister

Hi,

I was using Sunstar dvd-r with NEC ND 1300A, and Nero 6. Things were working great. Now I am not able to use this media any more. I tried updates to 1.07 firmware, updates for nero, but no luck. I used a TDK+R, and my data comes out fine.

Do you have any tips?