Nec Nd-1300a Big Problems!

vbimport

I have had an strange problem the last 3 days.

I bought an NEC ND-1300A (Black) and installed it on the following system:

Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4x with P3 800 Mhz and 512 MB Ram (With the lastest drivers and bios). Running Win XP Pro (With all updates)

While using NERO (lastest) to burn an DVD, nero was caching all the files but stopped responding when it was suppose to start the burning prosess. I checked DMA etc. etc. I tried Prim. Slave, Sec. Master and slave. I even tried different sets of IDE Cabels…But still the same problem.

I returned the drive in another one (NEC ND-1300A) and still the same problem. (The light on the DVD was lightning for ca 7 sec). Nero stopped responding when it was suppose to start buring.

I also tried different kind of DVD’s that is supported by NEC and even different DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW… Nothing… I even changed the firmware with hacked ones (NEC) and even tried the TDK Firmware…

But the strange thing was, the DVD, was buring normal CD-R and CD-RW without any problems at all.

I returned this drive too and got the money back (Witch was not easy, because… well long story…)

Then I bought an Retail Iomega Dual drive, witch turned out to be an rebagged NEC ND-1300A with Iomega firmware… :frowning:

But still the SAME OLD PROBLEM… I returned that drive also back… :a :a :a

And now I got no DVD writer… :Z

So folks, any idea’s??? :bow:

Weird problem.

First of all , does the motherboard recognize the device as an actual DVD writer ? If so , there’s probably no technical error, but more a software error.

I have no idea why it doesn’t work with your curren software , but the best thing to try is to get another operating system to work and test it on there. It can be anything from registry settings to bad harddisks or viruses.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Weird problem.

First of all , does the motherboard recognize the device as an actual DVD writer ? If so , there’s probably no technical error, but more a software error.

I have no idea why it doesn’t work with your curren software , but the best thing to try is to get another operating system to work and test it on there. It can be anything from registry settings to bad harddisks or viruses. [/B]

Yes, It is recognized as an DVD Writer. I Also did an clean install of Win Xp on another Harddrive with just nero. But still the same thing.

Originally posted by jan70
[B]

Yes, It is recognized as an DVD Writer. I Also did an clean install of Win Xp on another Harddrive with just nero. But still the same thing. [/B]

K then. Let’s see what we got :

1. DVD writer correctly seen in Bios
  2. Windows XP brand new installation with only Nero
  3. Windows XP sucessfully recognizes all devices and only native drivers are used.
  4. Still cannot write dvd’s.

I’m at a loss here… i have no way of telling which component of your computer system may be faulty or unstable.

Are you using the latest Nero version?

Have you tried with other burning software?

I’m having the same problem as jan70 discribed. But the only difference is that i have an Mitsumi witch is a NEC 1100a clone. Here i’ve tried an older and the newest version of nero but every time caching is done nero stops responding. The rest is as jan70 discribes. I hope someone knows a solution!

EDIT
I found the solution in my case. The problem was a bad ide driver. I had a old via ide bus driver installed because this one could let me set the DMA manualy. But now i replaced it with the new hyperion drivers and luckely all is well and my Mitsumi is Burning like HELL :bigsmile:

Originally posted by vio_man
[B]Are you using the latest Nero version?

Have you tried with other burning software? [/B]

Yes I have the latest Nero (as written in the description). And I have also tried WinonCD 6

Originally posted by Raymongo
[B]I’m having the same problem as jan70 discribed. But the only difference is that i have an Mitsumi witch is a NEC 1100a clone. Here i’ve tried an older and the newest version of nero but every time caching is done nero stops responding. The rest is as jan70 discribes. I hope someone knows a solution!

EDIT
I found the solution in my case. The problem was a bad ide driver. I had a old via ide bus driver installed because this one could let me set the DMA manualy. But now i replaced it with the new hyperion drivers and luckely all is well and my Mitsumi is Burning like HELL :bigsmile: [/B]

Well I am happy for you, that it worked for you.

I have even tried the new IDE drivers from VIA, and also the native M$. With no luck… :a

Hi jan70!

Thank you for posting your problem here. And thank you, Raymongo, for posting the solution!

I have had quite EXACTLY THE SAME problem!
I have already updated anything (Nero 5.5.10.54, NEC firmware 1.08) but no success.
After reading the hint from Raymongo and after downloading ViaHyperion4in1 4.47 from June 2003 the problem was solved!

It really works!

Some remarks:

1. I have seen your 7 seconds light-on of the NEC burner only after resetting my BIOS to conservative “Fail safe defaults” (which greatly decreases the hard disk speed). The
    hard disk led and the NEC burner led flashes 3-4 times, then
    it remains steady on for about 7 secs - and then nothing happened. Nero states “Caching files”, but never says “Caching files completed”.
    With the “Optimized defaults” settings of the BIOS I couldn’t see the flashing leds nor the steady 7 second light-on procedure - but the effect was quite the same.

2. It all happens also with Pinnacle Studio 8 (8.10.4.0)
    without using Nero.

3. Updating the NEC burner works only in DOS mode. The
    windows flaher says “Flashing error” right after 11 progress
    bar squares (“ooooooooooo_______________”), the
    led of the burner was steady on and I can’t open the drive.
    After rebooting (afraid to have damaged the drive!)
    the old 1.06 firmware was left in the burner.

• This was when I considered to bring the drive back to my
    dealer, thinking it is really broken.
    Using the DOS flasher from Herrie however works without problems (- but doesn’t solve my problem).

Thank you again for posting this thread!

Use the new VIA drivers!

Again: Use the new VIA drivers! Use the new VIA drivers! Use the new VIA drivers!

Your Welcome. And i’m happy i could be of service to you. :smiley:

I too now have an NEC ND-1300A.

I installed this yesterday and booted my PC. Windows found it alright BUT recognised it as an IOMEGA rather than what it is.

Now, didn’t really think much of this at the time. Lets face it Windows isn’t that clever.

However, on trying to use the drive it cannot see anything. Cannot read CD’s or DVD’s. I have not tried writing yet.

Installed in Windows XP Home. I have tried searching Net for a driver but can’t find one. No driver disk was supplied with product. But I am supposedly assured that it doesn’t need one because Windows should recognise it.

Anyone either got the relevant drivers or has other ideas?

I am having the same problem… I just got the OEM NEC ND-1300A (did not come with any drivers or software)…

it was recognized and installed by WIN XP (PRO) and shows up in the Device Manager and Windows Explorer as the NEC DVD RW, but will not read from any media… I have tried, game CDs, DVDs, CD-Rs with stuff on them, blank CD-Rs, and blank DVD+RWs… none of them show up in Windows Explorer…

I put in CD and go in to Windows Explorer as if I wanted to browse the CD and nothing shows up…

I have the latest firmware (1.8) and the latest VIA drivers (VIA Hyperion 4in1 v.4.49, AUG 2003) and am running WIN XP PRO…

I use the 1300 with Win2K. Sometimes I can put a written CD in the drive and Windows will not see the media, nero will report the CD as closed.

If I stop other processes such as PowerDVD, etc, it comes back. I think some device is holding the burner in a state Windows is too dumb to recover from. If it’s more a permanent issue - well, a minefield.

First of all have you guys installed the nec as secundiary master? And second what does your bios say when booting does it recognise it as what it is supposed to be a NEC 1XXXa? And an other thing you should set DMA on in the bios. Dont use PIO mode and you should take a look at wat windows does with DMA because sometimes windows set things on PIO mode and burners dont like that.
Well this is all i can think of right now and i hope this will help you.

Good luck to you

i just bought the same drive, and i installed it, now no matter what i try, i can’e for the life of me get ANY of my CD drives to show up in “my computer” no, it happened right after i installed the drive, i have since then taken it out and have tried many things, and i can’t get any drives, besides my hard drive and floppy disk, to show up in my computer, nor can i access them any other way. does anyone have any help for me??? please feel free to post here and/or email me if u know what to do or try. my email is mxmadness05@htva.net thanks a lot!!!

I also bought the Nec DVD RW ND 1300A.
The software that I got with the DVD RW is from Nero (Nero express), version 5.5.10.13 NEC.
At first I had problems to. No music videos could be played.
In my case I had the problem fixed by setting the region setting of the DVD RW to my region and that is Europe.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TOO! i downloaded the latest firmware and the viahypertherion4in1 drivers still wont work, :frowning: :frowning:

Disc-at-once & Illegal Disc

Hi!
As we all have ive got a problem! I get the Disc-at-once & illegal disc error in Nero, using DVD-R. I have burnd movies before with DVD-R and now i can´t :a ! Does enybody knows how to fix this problem or know wish program is better and works :iagree: ? Please he :slight_smile: lp

Cheers and have a good one