NEC Guidelines for Flashing Firmware

vbimport

I just got my ND-3540A and am curious as to whether or not disabling an attached slave drive is really necessary as suggested in NEC’s own firmware flashing instructions found here: http://support.necsam.com/OEM/downloads/FlashFirmware/readme.asp?ID=7

This suggestion sounds a bit obsurd to me as I’ve never heard of this being necessary for drives of other manufacturers (i.e. LiteON, Plextor, etc…). For all of those who have already flashed their NEC drive in the past, can you clarify whether or not this step is actually necessary or is it completely redundant? Thanks in advance.

@ plexdude,

In the very first of this Forum are “Read First” postings. Suggest viewing them for your answer. There is a wealth of information posted in these “Read First” postings.

I wonder why they are called “Read First?

Best Regards,
bjkg

i’ve never disabled anything and it flashes fine.

I bet he already saw them, and by the time you typed that paragraph out you could’ve already given him the answer.

Please consider that reading 10 stickies at the top of the forum and missing a simple answer like this is going to often happen.

@plexdude. I have never disabled a drive to flash my Nec but I did flash once without rolling back to STD MS IDE drivers and had all sorts of problems. So I would definitley recommend the STD IDE drivers for flashing. HTH.:slight_smile:

Great information. Always use MS IDE drivers when flashing

Thanks for all your comments. I always stick to MS IDE drivers so I shouldn’t have any problems. I wonder why Nvidia, Intel, ATi, VIA, etc. even bother to put out their own IDE drivers when all they do is create headaches and never have any performance benefits over the standard Microsoft ones.

Before I realized it, I’ve been using nForce ATA driver 2.6 for quite some time, flashed the firmware more than 3 times and burned an unknown number of discs successfully.

I think NVIDIA’s drivers have an advangage on CPU utilization. If the MS drivers work good enough for you, by any means stick with it. Otherwise NVIDIA’s drivers are reliable enough and there’s probably no need to worry about it.