NEC dvd writer drive - nd-6750

Hello there, I have recently bought a new slimline nec dvd writer nd-6750 for my packard bell laptop. I have inserted it and when I turn my laptop on I keep getting asked for drivers for the dvd drive. So my laptop does not pick up the drive at all
I had no cds with the dvd drive and I was wondering if anyone can help me and tell me where I can get a driver for my nec dvd writer drive nd-6750. Or how can I install it and get it working?

I have tried everywhere I can think of

Many thanks

Steve G

I have checked the bios and my dvd writer drive is not being detected in the bios at all. So what does this mean? And how can I get around this problem and get my drive working properly. Also I cannot find the drivers anywhere I have looked every where. The nec website is hopeless because they have a option for drivers for this drive but there is no files present in that option. Also it asks for the drivers when I load up my laptop at the start, once it has detected new hardware. Also I have only recently freshly installed ms windows xp onto my laptop but not with my new drive in.

many thanks

Steve G

You won’t need drivers (they come with the OS) but an appropriate firmware for this slimline burner to work properly in this lappy.

What you mean the fireware are in this lappy? Yeah I know they are supposed to come with the OS but not this time, im having problems. When ever I turn the laptop on I get prompted to enter drivers for the new hardware and windows doesnt have any drivers for it. So how can I get this working. I have a windows XP packard bell laptop about a year and a half old.

http://www.de.nec.de/faq_detail.php/id/1345/frage/572/lang/ENG

I have tried booting from my windows xp disc to format the laptop. But I was unable to because the drive didnt recognise the disc and it justed booted up into windows as normal. It is not seen in the bios at all. What does this mean?

I cant test it in another laptop because I dont have another laptop to test it in. It doesnt read any cds at all. It is as if it is not in my laptop. But I it has power becasue I can eject it and the green light will come on the drive and also the dvd drive light on the laptop comes on when I press the eject button. So it does have power. My old drive works in the laptop. It can read cds fine and boot up a windows xp disc.

So what do you think is wrong and how can I fix it and get my drive working.

Many thanks

Steve G

Dunno, clean the drive and contact the support.

hay steve
i had a similar problem. 2 dells,they have the removeable cd’s drives. so as the the system was running, I was able to remove the rom & replace it…
it seems that someone had switched the roms(whoops, i did’nt realize they were different.) anyway,can the drive be inserted while the systems running or do you have to shut down to turn over?? is the drive fitting the space right?? is it compleatly pluging in??
well this is my experience,if u can give it a try. let me know what happens.

Hello, no I still have not fixed my drive. But I have got some firmware and tools to try and fix it. I have been told that I have to convert my drive from a master drive to a slave drive. And to do that I have to boot up in dos and run some software. But I have a problem when I boot up in safe mode with command prompt and run the software it still cant find the drive.

So I was wondering if some one can talk me through converting my drive to a slave drive please.

Many thanks

Steve G