[NEC_DVD_RW ND-3500AG] Writes but doesn't read

vbimport

Hi there. A few weeks ago, i updated my NEC DVD writer to, what i think it was the best firmware. But now, it only writes, it can’t read any type of media, shows always blank.

Funny is that, i’ve a dual boot pc (XP and Vista), and while in XP, i get the reading problem, in Vista, the drive works just fine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Could anybody indicate me the right firmware/patch for this writer, please? Or any other solution for this problem? Thank you! :slight_smile:

Regards.

INFOTOOL TXT:

Drive Information

Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
Type : Gravador DVD±R/RW DL
Firmware Version : 2.1B
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : 4Y41S30S111
Vendor Specific : 06022300
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 20 , 16 , 10 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : No
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-RAM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD DVD-R DL : No
Read HD DVD-RW DL : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD DVD-R DL : No
Write HD DVD-RW DL : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : No
LightScribe : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 1
Changes Vendor : 4

CSS : Yes
CPRM : Yes
AACS : No
VCPS : No

You may be another of the many frustrated users with a common NEC drive problem for which there’s no known fix and details are at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/.

[QUOTE=bevills1;1994058]You may be another of the many frustrated users with a common NEC drive problem for which there’s no known fix and details are at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/.[/QUOTE]
Let’s hope XP SP3 can fix this problem with XP, when its available.

Does anybody know if there’s going to be an SP5 for Win2k that may hopefully fix the same problem for Win2k users?

Ok, thanks for all the answers.

Just one more question: which is the most indicated firmware for the NEC_DVD_RW ND-3500AG?

Regards.

My ND-3500 runs on 2.R8 firmware. Not the most compatible but still a lot of fun.
If you wanna play safe just continue to use latest NEC stock firmware 2.1B. :wink:

[QUOTE=bevills1;1994221]Does anybody know if there’s going to be an SP5 for Win2k that may hopefully fix the same problem for Win2k users?[/QUOTE]
Microsoft already said about 1 or 2 years ago that there won’t be an SP5 for Windows 2000 - one of the best operating systems they ever had in my opinion. :iagree:

Well off topic.

Never say never Liggy. :smiley:
My two* Lenovo GM965 C2D T7300@2GHz, 1.5GB lappys came with MS Vista… with option for “free downgrade” CD to XP_SP2. Ofcourse I accepted this offer at once. :bigsmile:

My memory usage went down from 450+ MB to sub 170, not to tell this also made much faster lappys.

• Had to buy a wireless laptop for my GF as well.

I completely agree with Liggy about Win2k being one of the best OSs Microsoft ever had which is why I chose it about 6 months after XP was introduced several years ago and still prefer Win2k. I’m sorry to hear there’ll be no SP5, and everybody will have to go Vista at some point due to plans to stop support for XP and 2K. I continue to see fewer PCs and laptops offered with XP, and that’ll cease altogether before much longer. However, I plan to hang onto 2K as long as there is support for it.

I’ve also a similar problem with my 3500 that caused me to upgrade to something else last summer. I had 2.1b as well. It seemed that I couldn’t burn properly for the life of me. It’d almost always bomb out at the end. Still seems to read just fine though.