NEC DVD RW ND-2500A burner problem

vbimport

:confused: Upgraded from Win98SE to Win XP/SP2

Under Win98 DVD drives worked fine:
Asus DVD-E616P ROM Firmware ver 1.04
and a
NEC DVD RW ND-2500A burner Firmware Ver 1.07

Now, under XP NEC burner will no longer recognize nor burn DVD media but will recognize and burn CD media normally.

Windows file explorer says there is a DVD RW present but when I put in any kind of DVD media Explorer says the drive is empty. The Asus works fine.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with XP and the device just failed?

Any ideas what the problem may be?

if it still burns in win98 then the drive is fine and you need something like perhaps dvd burning software update to get it to burn

1. Have you installed your XP as an upgrade to your existing Win98 installation, or was it a clean XP install?
  2. Are you using the default MS IDE drivers, or something else?
  3. Which burning software have you got installed?

Solved problem I think…
drive uses separate laser lens for dvd and cd.
Apparently the DVD part went south. I have burned about 225 movies and many cd’s with drive so maybe it was time to fail.

I may have been wrong to say that it ran under Win98. Actually it had been some time since I used it with DVD media so I’m not so sure anymore.

Anyway ordered a new NEC ND-3520A for 46 bucks delivered to my door from NewEgg. Can’t beat that.

If both don’t work that will tell me a lot and I will end up with a backup.

I can live with that.

I have the same burner and I am having an issue with reading any CD. I will read DVDs fine and even burn DVDs and cds, but will not read any CDs. Is there a firmware fix or is my drive hosed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.