Nec Dvd Rw Nd 1300a

Hi there

I have recently purchased this drive for my pc and am having no luck at all burning DVDR’s. The bundled software that came with the drive is Nero v5.5.10.20. I have files on my HDD which I would like to burn to DVDR but it keeps giving me error messages.

chrome :confused:

it would help if u actually said what the error was. otherwise, nobody has an idea about what kind of problem u’re having.

Besides what AZImmortal said, it is very nice to know what software (still the same Nero?) and media you are using. Also, your system’s hardware (especially the mainboard) can be an important part as well…

Hi there sorry for the delay in replying away on holiday.

Okay here are the specs of my pc:

Intel P4 2.6Ghz cpu
MSI 648 Motherboard
128Mb GeForce FX52000
512MB PC2700 DDR 333Mhz
NEC ND1300a
Pioneer 116 DVD Rom
Windows XP Pro (Clean installation)
Nero Burning Rom 6.0.0.19 (Ultra Edition)

The NEC drive is on Master with the Pioneer as Slave.

The NEC is using the native drivers supplied by WinXP and the BIOS does recognise the drive as a NEC.

My problem is that I cannot burn onto DVDr media but I can write CDR/RW.

I have changed the settings in Nero so it does realise it is a DVDr I am trying to burn. I’ve not used any other software apart from Clone CD (just for backups).

When using Nero I see that the files are being processed by it fails to burn at 1 and 2x.

The media I am using is DataWrite DVDR- discs.

Any ideas where I’m going wrong?

chrome

First thing–go into the hardware manager in Windows and check the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers. In the advanced section, make sure your dvd player has dma enabled. In other words, it shouldn’t be running in pio mode. This should be automatic in Windows XP, and I don’t think it is the problem, but better to check.

The next thing to try is different media. Try to find some Verbatim Datalife Plus +R disks. They seem to be a safe bet, even if the ones you find are Taiwanese (ones from Singapore or Japan would be better). Ritek G04 +R disks would be another type to try. Don’t buy many–just a test. If they don’t work, you might consider upgrading the firmware. This site, http://herrie.rpc1.org/
has both the newest official firmware and his own modified versions. I’m using a modified version on mine, but be aware this could nullify your warranty. The modified firmwares will give better compatibility with cheaper media.

As far as your burning speeds, I don’t think the NEC supports burns at 1x but I could be mistaken in that. 2x should work on -R disks.

Hope something in all this helps. Let us know if you’re making any progress.

The advice of Kerry56 is very good, just let me add one more thing.

In my previous message, I asked you for the mainboard that’s in your system. As I see, you haven’t got an AMD system with a NForce2 chipset inside, so forget about what I said, as only some drivers for this chipset are known to give certain problems when it comes to CD/DVD burning.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]The advice of Kerry56 is very good, just let me add one more thing.

In my previous message, I asked you for the mainboard that’s in your system. As I see, you haven’t got an AMD system with a NForce2 chipset inside, so forget about what I said, as only some drivers for this chipset are known to give certain problems when it comes to CD/DVD burning. [/B]

just so people know…

i have burned DVD’s with the latest nVidia driver pack 3.13 without problems on an NEC 1100a. i did install the entire driver pack, just uninstalling the previous set.

its a secondary system, so i played guinea pig on it.

Originally posted by cobra1
[B]just so people know…

i have burned DVD’s with the latest nVidia driver pack 3.13 without problems on an NEC 1100a. i did install the entire driver pack, just uninstalling the previous set.

its a secondary system, so i played guinea pig on it. [/B]

That’s good to know, I’ll be upgrading my NV drivers tonight and see what happens. Thanx for the info!

Thanks for the tips guys!

I’ve looked under Device Manager and found the two IDE controllers but do not get an advanced tab on General, Resources and Driver. Guess I’m looking under the wrong heading?

I’ve done the same for both drives attached and cannot see that option either.

Your patience would be appreciated.

chrome

Ok, here’s what it looks like in my computer using XP Pro. In Device Manager you double click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. This should bring up the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels.

Double clicking on either of them should bring up the Properties window. This has four tabs: General, Advanced Settings, Driver and Resources

Click on the Advanced Settings tab. This should bring up the next window which will show Device 0 and Device 1

This will tell you which transfer mode is currently being used . It should be Ultra DMA Mode 2 for your dvd drive.

From your original post it looks like you have both optical drives on the Secondary IDE Channel.

If you’re not getting the Advanced Settings tab, I’m at a loss on how to tell you to procede. I still don’t think you’re running in pio mode but it is a good idea to make sure. Another tactic to try is to download Sysoft Sandra and examine your system through it. It is a free download.

Edit: The dma testing secion of Sandra isn’t free. So that rules that out. Sorry.
Sandra is a little screwy on my system anyway. Tells me my motherboard temps are 255 degrees Celcius.

You might look at this post
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=40471

Apparently Intel drivers do some strange things to the options in Hardware Manager.

So I wouldn’t worry about the dma settings anymore. Just try different media first.