NEC dvd drivers fail to load

vbimport

I have just bought a NEC 2500 dvd rw, but have major problems installing it.

WindowsXP is recognising the drive but is unable to load the drivers. The balloon message says
Found New Hardware _NEC dvd rw 2500a
Found New Hardware CD Rom
and so on and so on.

The drive is not fully recognised or usable, and is automatically disabled in the device manager.

I can sometimes get XP to recognise the dvd drive by uninstalling and re-installing the dvd drivers and forcing enable and it will work fine for a while. When I re-start XP the balloon message will again pop up and it starts all over again.
Found New Hardware CD Rom and on and on until I remove the drivers in Device manager.

This appears to be a recognised problem and is mentioned on the NEC website but the following solution proposed by them does not work.

You need to choose to your “DRIVERS” folder.
Then change or delete the folder “MONITOR”
Switch to “C:WINDOWS”
Ensure that you have in windows explorer settings option activated to see ALL data (also hided and system files)
Switch to “c:WINDOWSINF”
Look for the “INFCACHE.1” file and delete it
Switch to your desktop trash can and empty it
If problem cant be solved, pls. contact manufacturer of your PC package.

The folder “Monitor” does not exist on my PC!
Any help will be gratefully received.

Uninstall the IDE controller that the drive is on and reboot.

I did delete the Secondary IDE controller, and now I have the same problem with BOTH my CDRW and DVDRW drives. Both keep on loading at boot up, and never finalise. There appears to be a more fundamental system problem!

Unfortunately, when I tried a System Restore, I found that Restore had been turned off and no back ups were available. So now I’m stuffed!:confused:

Unless there is a solution to the problem I am resigned to installing the system mirror image from Jan 2003. :sad:

What IDE controller drivers installed, anything like Intel Application Accelerator or Nvidia drivers installed? If ASPI is installed, remove it with KillASPI.

Hi, Good morning.
I have a Nvidia Geoforce 2 graphics card, and Standard ATA/ATAPI controllers on both primary and secondary channels. I also have a SiS PCI IDE controller listed below the secondary channel in device manager. Is any of this relevant?

I can’t find any ASPI stuff, where should I look to be sure?

Update: Nero infotool tells me that I have Nero Aspi installed and working correctly. Should I remove this?

I have Nero Aspi installed and working correctly. Should I remove this

No

I also have a SiS PCI IDE controller listed below the secondary channel in device manager

Exactly how are your drives configured. What is running on the PCI card?

DVD id 0 and cdrw 1 on secondary IDE channel.
I have a Pinnacle TV card in one of the PCI slots.

Do you have both your drives confnigured for “Cable Select” or Master/Slave? I’ve found that the cable select works good for me. If you have one for cable select and the other for master/slave, even though they may be in the correct position, you may encounter problems.

What you may want to do is remove both drives, except for the hard drives, and reboot. Once you are OK there, try re-adding one or the other drives as “Cable Select” and install that drive on the end of the IDE cable. That will be the MASTER. Now reboot and see if it configures as the master. If that doesnt work, try the same thing but set the dvd’s jumper to master and see what that does. Also, make sure you are logging in as administrator. Of course I’m assuming you are already doing that, but just want to make sure.

I agree that uninstalling the IDE channel will sometimes fix problems such as these.

You could also try putting the drive as the slave of the primary channel if the cable will reach.

Bob

Oh, yeah, also poke around your BIOS settings, there may be something weird going on there. And also check the web site for the mother board and see if there might be a newer BIOS to download.

Bob

PROBLEM SOLVED!
After trying to roll back my installation and install a drive image, the rollback program failed and left me with a partially formatted Hard Disk.

Fortunately I had a XP home disk at hand and managed to achieve a complete reinstall (although my hard drive is now F: !):confused:

Anyway, both CDRW and DVDRW drives are working as they should! Thanks for your support. :slight_smile: :bow: